MiniDV Tape won't play (after using Premier) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 27th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #1
New Boot

MiniDV Tape won't play (after using Premier)

Yesterday I installed Adobe Premier and connected my Canon XH-A1 to an iMac via Firewire. The iMac is new ... and this was my first try at capturing. At first the Adobe Premier controls (play/pause/ff/fb) worked to control the XH-A1 and I captured video from a MiniDV. But after a few minutes Adobe Premier failed to control the camera's play.

Adobe Premier can still control fast forward, fast back, and pause, but the Adobe Premier PLAY BUTTON won't play this MiniDV.

OK. I unplugged the Firewire. Turned the XH-A1 off/on. Now the playback controls on the Canon XH-A1 handle DO NOT PLAY THIS TAPE. With other MiniDV casettes the Play button does work. This problem may or may not be related to Adobe Premier, but the problem occurred while using Premier.

So it looks like XH-A1 doesn't like this one MiniDV. What could cause this? This tape has valuable footage on it. I'd like to capture it. Help, please.
Eric Muehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you unplugged your A1 and it still refuses to play the tape, it certainly isn't Premiere's fault. Sorry to say it, but I suspect you've got a bad tape.
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Eric,

I use Adobe Primiere Elements 3.0 on an XP platform.

The first time I hooked up the A-1, the program said no device was connected.

I shut down the computer, turned on the A-1, hooked up the firewire connection, then booted up the computer with the A-1 on and it worked.

I really haven't had any problems since capturing video from the A-1, that is in SD....haven't tried capturing high def yet.

Re: playing your tape in the A-1. Any chance someone else has a MiniDV camera that you could try to use to play the tape?

Good luck.

Rog Lee

Last edited by Roger Lee; October 27th, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders