Canon Xh-a1 tape mechanism problem! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon Xh-a1 tape mechanism problem!

Ok, so I got my A1 since January of this year. I sent it in for three times already, one for grit in the rings, one for broken headphone jack, and one for broken back-focus. Now, today, I was filming my little short movie and then at the end of the tape, I see that the tape is running out so I go get the tape and open the tape compartment to switch the tapes. Then, it struck again. The tape wouldn't come out. The mechanism just lifts the compartment up then it pushes back down. Usually after it pushes up and it ejects to the side and then you can get the tape, right? Well, this one, it just pushes up and goes back down. On the LCD, it says "remove the cassette." I've spent a couple of hours reading this on the Forum and it seems GL2 users have this similar problem, but A1? I already requested a repair but this is so lame when time is your enemy where you have to turn in the final project in 4 weeks and your freaking camera is broken. So, I just wanted to let everyone know about another flaw with Canon. I love the damn camera when it's not broken but this is the 4th time I have to send it in in less than a year. Damn!!!

Anyone encountered the same problem here?
Raneath Sokha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Contributor

I will have had mine a year this December. No trouble at all.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Wrangler

Raneath: Sorry to hear about your issues. Sounds like you and the A1 (or at least the one you got) were not meant for each other. Other folks appear to be faring much better with theirs.
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneath Sokha View Post
Ok, So, I just wanted to let everyone know about another flaw with Canon. I love the damn camera when it's not broken but this is the 4th time I have to send it in in less than a year. Damn!!!

Anyone encountered the same problem here?
Nope, I'm a little more careful with my gear!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi There,

Here is the story I did took my camera to Canon service center last week for a check up and a good cleaning.

When I went to pick it up the guy told me that the technision did not find anything wrong with camera except that the mechanisim of the tape needed to be realigned and readjusted.

He said that if you force down the tape and or push down the tape holder, it will screw up everything including the head of the camera. Told me be Extremely gentle when putting and changing tapes and do it slowly!!!

Matthew
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

sounds like you should use the warranty to get the camera replaced with that track record of issues, or be more careful with it.
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #7
New Boot

hey, I got my camera back this past friday (they got it on last friday). Usually, it took longer until I get it back but I guess 4th time should really ring a bell with Canon lol. Anyways, they found out that the tape mechanism had a shock accident or something and the compartment was replaced. I've been very gentle with it most of the time except sometimes but still I have been very gentle with it but it just like to screws with me. But, hey I am still covered under original Canon warranty and I still have extended 3 more years of warranty after the Canon one expired.

Don Palomaki,

It is a love/hate relationship. But in the end, I think I and my A1 will make it after all these struggles they have gone through. It makes us stronger? lol

Last edited by Pete Bauer; November 11th, 2007 at 07:14 AM. Reason: replaced "the B word" with "it"
Raneath Sokha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders