Tour To Africa - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 26th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #31
Major Player

Lake Nakuru and more

Hi John and Mickey,

The flamingos around Lake Nakuru are fantastic to see and listen to. There is still a large number of them periodically. When we where there in May there was about 1.5 million.

We used different microphones. Most of the time the stock XL H1 mic with one of the best fur windshield.

At one of the photos you can see our Telinga parabolic microphone ( http://www.telinga.com ) which is possible to roll inside a tripod bag. We also had a Sanken CMS-7H stereo mic (very good and low noise) and a Sennheiser MKH70 we never used! It was never much wind so we didn't use the Zeppeliner basket windshield but we had it available just in case.
Most recording was made with the camcorder but some with the 744T harddisk recorder which we had in a still camera bag as you can see on the photo.

My wife is very interested in the cause of the flamingo death and she has had students working on the case as well as cooperation with a local scientist. She is an expert in the field of toxic algae and she did some sampling while our kids where collecting bones as you can see on one of the attached pictures.

At long distance you think the beaches around the lake are made of pink sand but when you come closer, you find the beaches covered with flamingos so close to each other so you don't see the soil!

Mickey, I think you should save money so you don't have too tight budget if possible. It is never funny to stand there and not be able to join an upcoming adventure.

However, there are sometimes the possibility to make it MUCH cheaper than to stay at the top notch tourist lodges if you don't buy a package. Then you should have more time than the scheduled package tours where there is not much time left for the unexpected. Remember, a local family father earns about USD 40 a month so it is obviously possible to live on less than USD 200 a day! But they stay out of the National Parks which are by all rights costly.

We have done our own trips and tried package tours also but we prefer to make our own trips and sometimes buy a few days locally as a package in the self planned trip.

We also promote local small companies and don't want to put our money in the pockets of the big companies, especially if they are based abroad.

It is a good idea to know all about your camera before you leave.

I have made walking safaris in Zimbabwe with guides who liked to take still photos. They didn't like video at all because they said those videographers never got the right feeling of a safari. They were too occupied by their equipment and to record. They saw everything through the viewfinder all the time! Mostly it is perhaps more rewarding to just be there and observe with a pair of good binoculars! /Johan
Attached Thumbnails
Tour To Africa-pink_beaches_from_far_away.jpg   Tour To Africa-sample_collection.jpg  

Tour To Africa-flamingo_and_buffalo_at_beach.jpg  

Last edited by Johan Forssblad; November 26th, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Tele extender

I use a Schneider Optics 1.6X teleconverter. It is more expensive than some, but I have been disappointed in the optical quality of the less expensive converters.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1385&IID=6223

I would be happier with a 2X, but I never found a good one. The good new is that most of the time 1.5x works well.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks Johan
I am thinking of visiting Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, and Sarangati National Park Tanzania. as you have been to africa and have been on tours an well as conducted your own tour can you tell me if i get a mini bus and a guide how much am looking for per day rate also does that include the park entry i dont think so, am sure i might be getting on your nerves but am soooooo excited even talking of africa seems like am already there. and yes i will wait till i get used to my camera and have enough money and good knowledge of where am going and what i should expect to pay.
Thanks Rick
am looking at
http://dvdreamtime.com.au/raynox-hdp...ns-p-3056.html
it looks like good
Thanks for everything guys
Mickey Mackwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Raynox lens

Mickey-
I had a bad experience with a different Raynox lens- their HD wide angle for my HV10. It was slightly soft in the middle and got softer toward the edges. It also vignetted. Now that was a much less expensive lens, but they obviously have some poor quality lenses in their lineup. The lens you are looking at is not cheap, but I would be cautious and only buy from someone who allows it to be returned if you don't like it.

A related issue on a lens this expensive- are you going to put a transparent filter on the front of it or just keep wiping the dust off the main element? Check and see if you can get a filter and a sun shade for the lens. Many of these tele extenders don't seem to have compatible round filters.

Rick
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Thanks Rick i would definately put a clear filter on it to protect the lense, also i saw a lot of good reports about the one you suggested Schneider Optics 1.6X teleconverter. I might even look at getting it.
Thanks again
Mick
Mickey Mackwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #36
Regular Crew

No Filter

According to Schneider Optics, there is no filter that fits the 1.6X. You have to use their mat box and 4x4 filters- and expensive solution and not as good at keeping the dust out. I went ahead with that option for a polarizing filter, but I don't use it for dust. I am just real careful about keeping the lens cap on.

Not a great solution.

Rick
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I have a Manfrotto 680 monopod, with an optional spider leg tripod assembly that is stored away in the leg of the pod. It's lightweight, and small enough to fit in my daypack. (Using a 700RC2 head.)

I'll be going to South America next week. In a worse case scenario, the monopod can serve as a club to fend off would be muggers. :-)
Jason Sovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Thanks Rick , Thanks Jason
Mickey Mackwan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders