Garden Party - short - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #16
Major Player

Trish,

When I download the video and play it, it only plays part way (up to the point when the pupet hangs upsidedown from the top and moves it's eyes. Then it just stops. I downloaded a couple of times and the same thing.

Since I only saw the opening, like Bryan, I too felt the opening was way too long and the repeating of the that green thing that makes you dizzy or hypnotizing kind of was a bit irritating. But that's just my opinion and I want abel to see the full video.

Shiv.
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #17
Major Player

Trish,

I was able to download and view the complete video. That's way cool! Good ideas and implementation, nice angles and compisiton too.

It would have been great with the Letus in the scenes with the puppets so you wouldn't see the background much and so references to size.

So was that handheld (following the footsteps etc.) or did you use the Steadicam Merlin?
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Shiv

sorry, didn't get back already on it not playing properly - I checked it on a few computers and it's streaming ok on those - still not sure why it was giving you trouble.

It would have been great to have a letus. 35 adaptor is on the list.

I have a merlin now but not when I shot the video. Handheld.

It probably would have looked like they were at sea with the merlin - I've only had a few snippets of time to play with it so far and I can barely get it balanced as it is.

Your video in the kitchen showroom (I assumed merlin shot) looks like you are getting the hang of it.

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #19
Major Player

Trish,

That was pretty good hand held stuff then. Good work overall.

Yeah, I find the steadicam Merlin to be a lot of fun. I don't have problems balancing it or shooting over 45 minutes or more non stop.

It's working on keeping the composition, planing your moves etc. that I have some trouble with. And it's not like its hard, but I'm having so much fun that I'm not concentrating on the real stuff.

It's all about planning your moves and anticipating your camera pans/tilts ahead of time, because you're kind of having to pan the camera a second or so earlier then you think and then you also need to stop it from continuing to pan. I know how to do, just not at the correct time some times. When I look at the footage afterwards I know I went wrong and if possible I will re-shoot and get it right.

In one of Charles' post he said he's come to the point (after 18 years or so of doing it) where he's thinking about what he's going to have for luch while he's doing a steadicam shot. I'm doing the same (well not lunch), except I'm not doing what I *should* be. :)

It does open up a lot of possibilites such as dolly and jib arm kinds of moves.

Shiv
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Trish,

Balancing the Merlin:
Make sure you use one weight plus an end weight on the top spar and all but one of the rest of the weights on the bottom spar (I forget how many). In other words, you should have one spare weight left over.

The gimbal height should be adjusted such that it's two turns out from lightly seated. That is tighten it fully (be gentle) and then unscrew it two turns.

Your spars should be wide open and locked.

When it comes to getting the camera balanced remember that the closer you get to proper balance you should be adjusting both the rear and side adjusters to achieve balance even though it seems you only need to do one.

Hope that helps.

Shiv.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders