Can't capture 24f in Vegas 8! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Can't capture 24f in Vegas 8!

I have Vegas 8 and for over a month have been told by Sony that they don't have a fix to allow Version 8 to capture 24f even though Version 7 did. My most recent explanation has been that Sony can't afford to buy a XH-A1 to work out the problem. I myself am looking at Adobe very soon even though I just bought Vegas for the upgrade price. By the way, they recommended that I use HDV Split to capture. I told them that I found it ridiculous to go out of the high priced supposedly all-inclusive software to a free-ware program to perform a function that already worked in a previous version. Go figure. Everyone needs to write Sony and let them know we XH-A1/G1 owners aren't happy.
Chris Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Ya, I had some issues capturing w/ Veg 8 but I just use Veg 7 to capture and then work in Veg 8... Not really sure what the deal is but I only spent about 5 min. looking in to it...
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

But until then

Download free HDV split and configure in Vegas as the default capture device and get on with things.
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the advise Roy but HDV Split crashes on a system with Muvee Producer and therefore is not an option for me so I can't "get on with things". I have also gone through every setting it could possibly be with the Sony support person and they have admitted that it is a problem with 8. They already had advised HDV Split (as I already stated in my original post) or using 7... and no, I don't have Veg 7 to use as capture and when using a laptop I don't want to install 7 just to capture and use up valuable real estate on my drive. Sony site also recommends that you not uninstall a previous version of their software as it may unintentionally delete shared necessary files from 8. There is also a long thread on Sony Creative Software's site concerning this issue with many other people. Any other suggestions that are constructive?
Chris Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Tourist

Same problem and more

I was working on an HDV project and I was almost done when the whole thing crashed. I was working in Vegas 7e which had been very stable on SD projects. The project was shot 24p on the Canon xh-A1 and captured with the HV20. I heard that vegas 8 fixed all the problems and so I upgraded. The first thing that I noticed was that the vegas 8 capture was moving in slow motion and jittery. when I went to import the file I found out why- vegas 8 chopped one clip into 100 little individual clips. So I used vegas 7 to capture the clips which worked fine. I rebuilt the project staying up all night as I was on a dead line, only to have it crash again. As soon as I would open up the file it would crash again. I spent another day and night trying to solve the problem by reading the boards and talking to Sony. Long story short I learned that the problem lies in a corrupted file (or two or three) do in part to using dv tape instead of HDV tape. it crashed my system even if it was not on the time line but in my project media. But this should not be the capture problem. It was hard for me to isolate a problem file so I split my project up into separate veg files and rendered each out to the provided cineform codec. I then stitched these files together in a new veg file. I hope Sony can fix these problems fast. By miracle of God I was able to finish the project, but it was to close.
David Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Major Player

I "upgraded" to Vegas 8 trial for about 15 minutes.
It would exit on the importing of cineform 24f files...it would just close.

7d has worked fairly well for HDV.

For DV, I still use Vegas 4.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders