Lens reflection in filter problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Lens reflection in filter problem

Hi,
I always use a UV filter on my XHA1 so that the lens is protected from dust and other environmental factors,
but sometimes, when I shoot straight at a spotlight or sun, I get a reflection of the lens in the filter and so that reflection is filmed on tape and I get an end picture with visible camera lens.

Is it because of a cheap filter or it's just something to avoid and a question of right technique?

Thanks
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Andris,

I've used UV filters on the A1 and done what you say but not seen the camera lens' reflecting on the filter. :)

What was the aperture setting at that time?

Typically, when you shoot towards the sun or other bright light, you'll see all the dust on the UV filter and lens, as a result, I tend to take off the UV filter for such shoots and clean lens really well too.
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I had iris fully opened at about 1.2, shutter speed was at 24 frames, gain was +0, sometimes +6 (was shooting a live concert in a darkish club) and I use a HOYA UV filter.

Thanks for your suggestions, I gathered as much myself, but am curious if maybe there are simply better, more suitable filters.
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Major Player

it may be the uv protector. I have the same issue, using a basic tiffen protector that I got free with the camera...so its probably bottom of the line :\
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

These are differences between coating of UV Filters - but you will have this problem on Wide angle even with best filters. To eliminate this you need a French Flag or bigger Matte Box. Something like this:
http://picasaweb.google.pl/ivamosmeister/HardCase
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks.
But what brand UV filters do you suggest for non-wide angle?
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am using UV only to protect my lenses. It will be not a good idea to buy expensive filters for this an have need to protect the filters. These are no noticeable differences in Camerapicture for me - electronic devices can`t make use from UV protection. Due to this i use cheap Hama or Hoya UV Filters.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm using them for the same purpose, but I'd like ones with a less reflective surface.
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mosny View Post
I am using UV only to protect my lenses. It will be not a good idea to buy expensive filters for this an have need to protect the filters. These are no noticeable differences in Camerapicture for me - electronic devices can`t make use from UV protection. Due to this i use cheap Hama or Hoya UV Filters.
I would have to disagree. UV filtering is still important for digital use. UV rays can cause a blue cast to your video. Removing the UV rays from the spectrum recorded creates an image free of unwanted color balance which is independent of white balance issues. A quality UV filter is also very important because high quality UV filters are coated on both sides of the lens thereby reducing reflections internal to the lens and keeping your camera from imaging the reflections caused on the backside of your filter.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Major Player

I use a B&W UV filter and have never had any problems with reflections, etc with it. Go with quality, you won't be disappointed. The A1 is a beautiful $3500 +/- $$$ cam, I personally do not see why a "cheap" filter would be desireable. To save maybe $25 to $35??? Don't handicap that nice "L" series lens.
With respect to removing reflection from frames already shot, you may be able to load the offending clip into Photoshop and remove it, then send it back nto your NLE.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I agree Ryan, a long time ago I found that out the hard way.

Unfortunately when you buy an expensive camera like the A1, there's a tendency to baulk at having to spend more on quality accessories like filters and mics.

But the weakest link in the chain will let you down, then you waste time, money and good video catching up.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
I use a B&W UV filter and have never had any problems with reflections, etc with it. Go with quality, you won't be disappointed. The A1 is a beautiful $3500 +/- $$$ cam, I personally do not see why a "cheap" filter would be desireable. To save maybe $25 to $35??? Don't handicap that nice "L" series lens.
With respect to removing reflection from frames already shot, you may be able to load the offending clip into Photoshop and remove it, then send it back nto your NLE.
I use a B&W UV filter as well, but there can still be circumstances where you will see a reflection of the lens.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #13
Major Player

go with multi-coated filters & you shouldn't have those reflection issues... or at least much minimized.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:56 AM   #14
Wrangler

All lenses, even multi-coated, have reflections, just that quality multi-coated lenses have a significantly lower level of reflections. Uncoated lens surfaces reflect about 4% of the light, single-coated lens surface about 1-2%, and multi-coated even better at on the order of 0.5%

In most shooting situations involving average scenes, the reflections go unnoticed, even from low cost lenses, because the scene is brighter than the reflection and scene complexity masks what reflection might other wise be visible. However, if the scene contains large dark areas, the reflections may become apparent. Also, they may be more apparent if the lens (not just the CCD) can see very bright point sources of light.

Use filters when they improve the image, provide an image effect you are seeking, or provide protection from unacceptable environmental risks. Avoid using filters when there is no clear benefit. UV is most likely to be an issue during outdoor daylight shooting, especially at high altitudes. Not likely to be an issue for most indoor shooting.

And practice with the filters you plan to use under various lighting conditions to determine that artifacts they produce, and when they become objectionable.
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The hoya UV-Filter effectivly removes that lens reflection effect. I had the same issue in the past, when shooting towards the sun... Now thats all history. I would even give Hoya so much credit that you can almost ditch the mattebox. "almost"
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders