Film Look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Film Look

Hi

I tried to achiev a film look,to my eyes looks right but i need your opinion
Thanks advance!
http://www.bouchakour.de/video/road.mov
Farid Bouchakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Trustee

I guess it depends on what your definition of "A Film Look" is?
How about the look of Gilligan's Island or say the Brady Bunch.

Look, what do you care what someone on the internet thinks about the look of your video?
As long as it looks right to you and/or your client, that is all that matters!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd be more concerned with what's causing the waves in a few of the static shots.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I'd be more concerned with what's causing the waves in a few of the static shots.

Bill
Thanks for the comment.I noticed that also i don't have any idea why this is happend,if i remember i used manual focus!

cheers
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Film Look

Hi,

I'm not the expert, but I've read several times here that the "film look" is a bit different to each filmmaker's eye....so if it looks right to your eye, than so be it...

However, your work here could possibly be more to your liking if you could enhance the "depth of field" to a more shallow perspective.

For example, in the outdoor scene with the ducks, you might want to achieve the look where they are in focus, but the background is less in focus....(adjustments with exposure, etc.).

Read more on this by searching this forum (and others) on the "depth of field" topic. You might also search using "film look" as well.

Good Luck!
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Some of the shots show artifacts caused by pushing colour curves or gamma too much, for example the black chair that the man is sitting on has patches of fuzz that shouldn't be there. Film doesn't do that.
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

some of the shots look fine, but some look far too contrasty. If anything, I think the "film look" is all about depth of field.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Go watch Citizen Kane. Shot on film, VERY deep DoF.

Deep or shallow depth of field is a TOOL we have as filmmakers. Too many times too many people forget this.

If anything, lighting and composition will dictate what your footage comes out looking like. Those things you get right on set, in the field, in front of the camera. Adding a zillion curves and HSL adjustments and glows and de-noisers and EVERYTHING people do in post is no substitute for getting it right in the first place.

Once again TOOLS people, tools. How you put the whole picture together is what dictates your look.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks to all who answer me.
I know about DOF but this is my first shot,i don't have any 35mm adapter,it's not so easy to get the Dof right with only trick in post and withot any hardware hand,The cc that i made in post was just an overall correction not in depth work,I think i have to learn more,your feedback help me a lot.Thanks again!

Cheers
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Disjecta

Film look is about so many things, it's almost impossible to answer the question.

Here are a few things (in no particular order) that influence the "film look" when you shoot:

1. Framing
2. Frames per second chosen (film is 24fps)
3. Color palette
4. Depth of field
5. Set design
6. Camera movement (slow, even movement can emulate bigger 35mm rigs)
7. Lighting (including creating depth in your picture beyond what the lens can do)
8. Aspect ratio

I could go on forever but the point is that most of what I have mentioned above has nothing to do with the camera used. It all has to do with creating a world that fits into a particular frame size. In order to create that world, you must have knowledge of the rules. There is no machine that will give you a film look. Try to remove any barriers that have to do with the camera and think more about telling a story visually. Study and watch your favorite films and figure out what the camera is doing and what is lit and what is not lit in every scene. Watch how the camera movement and framing changes when an emotion is being conveyed, etc.

If you learn all of that, you will be able to create a film look with almost any camera. Without knowledge, even something shot on a 35mm Panavision camera won't look like "film".
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Steven,Glad to get feedback from you!
thanks again!
cheers
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
Here are a few things (in no particular order) that influence the "film look" when you shoot:

1. Framing
2. Frames per second chosen (film is 24fps)
3. Color palette
4. Depth of field
5. Set design
6. Camera movement (slow, even movement can emulate bigger 35mm rigs)
7. Lighting (including creating depth in your picture beyond what the lens can do)
8. Aspect ratio
9. Sound.
Well recorded/edited sound influences the experience one has when watching video/film.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I would say that what the "film" look really is, is basically 104 years of professional cinematographers/filmmakers trying desperately to make each and every shot in a film look interesting and work for the scene.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #14
Major Player

Farid,
I think it looked pretty good myself. My only comment would be that it is a little dark in spots for my taste. I can say that to me it didn't have an overwhelming "video" look so I think that's what you were going for right?
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Farid,
I think it looked pretty good myself. My only comment would be that it is a little dark in spots for my taste. I can say that to me it didn't have an overwhelming "video" look so I think that's what you were going for right?
Bill
Thanks Bill! It's exactly what i wanted to achieve (or to avoid ) this kind of Video Look,i wasn't talking about Framing and editing just want to have the fill of 35mm panasonic,anyway the answer i got is also very helpful.Thanks to the kind people here!
cheers
Farid Bouchakour is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders