DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Mixing XH-A1 and HV20 24p footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/109067-mixing-xh-a1-hv20-24p-footage.html)

Taky Cheung November 28th, 2007 08:45 PM

Mixing XH-A1 and HV20 24p footage

I am wanting to shoot 24p using both XH-A1 and HV20. XH-A1 indeed output a 23.976 fps footage whereas HV20 is 29.97fps. I know HV20 inserted the pulldown automatically. Is there a way I can have XH-A1 insert pulldowns too so I can work on both footage on a 60i timeline?

Thanks

Taky

Chris Barcellos November 28th, 2007 08:54 PM

On PC side, easier and better to remove pulldown from the HV20 at capture using a Cineform product...

Taky Cheung November 28th, 2007 08:58 PM

I invested in a Matrox RTX2 card. I am hoping not to pay for Cineform for the codec and to remove pulldown from HV20 footage. Besides, I won't get realtime capability with the Matrox acceleration. :(

Chris Barcellos November 28th, 2007 09:43 PM

What editor ?

Taky Cheung November 28th, 2007 09:45 PM

Premiere Pro CS3

Chris Barcellos November 28th, 2007 10:03 PM

Yeah. Okay, I understand situation. Just checked out Matrox. Big dollars invested. In my early DV days I went with an acceleration card (Pinnacle ProOne) to get real time editing capabilities. As the processors improved, and more software solutions came out, I found that I was limiting myself in what I would use to stay within the ProOne confines and I eventually ditched it.

Cineform does a pretty good job making the editing process faster and easier on your system. You might try their trial on Aspect to see what results without using Matrox stuff.

I actually use NeoHDV with Vegas, though I have Premiere too...

Taky Cheung November 28th, 2007 10:26 PM

I already tried out Cineform's product before I decide to go with Matrox.

I also used to have the Pinacle DV500.. not so impressed. Anyway, the matrox RTX2 card is really solid. It gives all the extra real time capability within Premiere.

Brian Brown November 30th, 2007 12:52 AM

TMPGEnc XPress will also remove the pulldown. You can read all about it on this thread. And it also down-rezzes HDV to DVD a bit nicer than PPro CS3's Adobe Media Encoder. Not back for $100. There's a free trial available.

I agree with Chris... working on a 24p timeline would be far less messy than 60i. Interlacing and field order issues can stymie DVD down-rez as well as Web video work. And take up unnecessary space with the pulldown.

Not to throw rocks, but it's too bad that the HV20 actually shoots progressive video and then inserts it into a 60i stream with pulldown that then has to be removed. Ironically, as we all know, the XH-A1 uses interlaced CCDs to create progressive video and streams. And the HV20 can playback the A1 tapes' frame modes, so it certainly has the ability to output progressive streams. Just not ones created by its own progressive imager. Crazy.

Preachin' to the choir, I'm sure...

Brian Brown
BrownCow Production