Mixing XH-A1 and HV20 24p footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Mixing XH-A1 and HV20 24p footage

I am wanting to shoot 24p using both XH-A1 and HV20. XH-A1 indeed output a 23.976 fps footage whereas HV20 is 29.97fps. I know HV20 inserted the pulldown automatically. Is there a way I can have XH-A1 insert pulldowns too so I can work on both footage on a 60i timeline?

Thanks

Taky
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

On PC side, easier and better to remove pulldown from the HV20 at capture using a Cineform product...
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I invested in a Matrox RTX2 card. I am hoping not to pay for Cineform for the codec and to remove pulldown from HV20 footage. Besides, I won't get realtime capability with the Matrox acceleration. :(
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

What editor ?
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Premiere Pro CS3
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yeah. Okay, I understand situation. Just checked out Matrox. Big dollars invested. In my early DV days I went with an acceleration card (Pinnacle ProOne) to get real time editing capabilities. As the processors improved, and more software solutions came out, I found that I was limiting myself in what I would use to stay within the ProOne confines and I eventually ditched it.

Cineform does a pretty good job making the editing process faster and easier on your system. You might try their trial on Aspect to see what results without using Matrox stuff.

I actually use NeoHDV with Vegas, though I have Premiere too...
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I already tried out Cineform's product before I decide to go with Matrox.

I also used to have the Pinacle DV500.. not so impressed. Anyway, the matrox RTX2 card is really solid. It gives all the extra real time capability within Premiere.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Major Player

TMPGEnc XPress will also remove the pulldown. You can read all about it on this thread. And it also down-rezzes HDV to DVD a bit nicer than PPro CS3's Adobe Media Encoder. Not back for $100. There's a free trial available.

I agree with Chris... working on a 24p timeline would be far less messy than 60i. Interlacing and field order issues can stymie DVD down-rez as well as Web video work. And take up unnecessary space with the pulldown.

Not to throw rocks, but it's too bad that the HV20 actually shoots progressive video and then inserts it into a 60i stream with pulldown that then has to be removed. Ironically, as we all know, the XH-A1 uses interlaced CCDs to create progressive video and streams. And the HV20 can playback the A1 tapes' frame modes, so it certainly has the ability to output progressive streams. Just not ones created by its own progressive imager. Crazy.

Preachin' to the choir, I'm sure...

Brian Brown
BrownCow Production
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders