Canon XHA1 Live I1394 feed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #16
Trustee

Hi Richard. You didn't reply about your camera settings or which Vegas capture application you are using. Unless these match, the device will not be connected in Vegas.

Before you go top yourself, why don't you start again at the beginning and proceed logically. It is possible that your cam has a firewire port hardware problem, but until you confirm that Downconvert is set to OFF in the cam, and that Vegas is using the Internal Capture app, I would put my money on pilot error as a more likely cause. :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #17
New Boot

Live TV

Well now the roof fell in! Now Adobe Premiere stopped capturing from the tape, so I guess I will give up and forget making a high def family history video for my descendants. I want to thank those members who took the time to try to duplicate my problems, and wish them continued success in their video efforts.
As for me, it's back to the analog camera and Movie Maker. At least that works reliably even though the picture is not high def...Bye Bye
Richard Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #18
New Boot

Live TV

Well; at least I did manage to solve one problem. Richard Hunter suggested I deselect External Capture in Vegas. Well that's when I lost even the vcr playback capture. So I put it back as it was, and now the Tape Playback captures OK. I guess I will try some more for the live feed, but now at least I can record what I want, and THEN capture it.
Thanks for the helpo and I am willing to try anything else.
I am hoping Windows will upgrade Movie Maker to enter the digital age!
As it is now, it will not recognize the Cam in any mode.

Last edited by Richard Blanchard; December 13th, 2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #19
Trustee

Hi Richard. If External Capture is working in Vegas, that suggests that the camera has Downconvert set ON and you are capturing DV, not HDV resolution. You can check this by looking at the Properties of a captured clip in Vegas (right-click and select Properties).

If you want to change the capture mode in the camera, you need to switch it off and disconnect the firewire cable first. Then you can power up the cam and switch off the Downconvert option. Switch off the cam again and reconnect the firewire. (Switching the cam off before touching the firewire cable is just a precaution, to avoid damage to the camera's firewire port).

Now when you go into Vegas, you need to deselect the External capture option so that you can connect to the cam in HDV mode. YOu should be able to get tape capture and live preview now if you have set the camera correctly.

Please go step by step and give it a try.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #20
New Boot

Problem Solved

Well after due diligence, I have located the vague wording in the Canon Manual for the XHA1 camcorder which purports to explain the "DV on/off" function in "System Setup" on the remote control's "Menu."
Canon's way of describing it is to refer to the computer as a "connected device," (which it actually is, but normally wouldn't be referred to that way. Personally I would refer to the Camcorder as the connected device.)
So, the genius who wrote the manual (Page 74) implies something about the camera AND a 'connected device' recording simultaneously, but does NOT mention that with "DV ON" the 'connected device' can record even if there is no tape in the camera.
And thereby hangs the tale. People like me, who wish to use the camera as just that: "A Camera," can do so by going to that "System Setup" and simply enabling the "DV ON;" which is OFF by default when you buy the camera. Problem solved, no thanks to Canon.
Red Blanchard, W6AG
www.redblanchard.com
www.gbs.bz
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #21
Major Player

robert,
can u tell me what your setup is for FC Pro? I have the same version and can't get FC to recognize my A1 via firewire.
David Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders