DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Built-in mic seems loose? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/110771-built-mic-seems-loose.html)

Don Palomaki May 2nd, 2007 05:56 AM

If the construction is similar to the GL series, it does not come appart readily. There is a good bit of disassembly required to take off the built-in mic.

Mark Fry May 2nd, 2007 10:08 AM

And you'll wreck your warranty if you try to remove the mics. Out of interest, why do you think you'd need to?

Bill Busby May 2nd, 2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Fry (Post 671379)
And you'll wreck your warranty if you try to remove the mics. Out of interest, why do you think you'd need to?

I assumed he didn't really want to. I thought it was just a curiosity thing.

Bill

Bill Watson May 2nd, 2007 02:43 PM

Thanks guys.

I was curious, yes.

Just thought it would make it easier to fit a simple rain jacket if the mic head was a 'plug in' arrangement.

Since then I've found the 'Kata' RC-14 link which seems to fit the bill.

Nathan Quattrini June 2nd, 2007 09:16 PM

Is the Mic supposed to wiggle?

I just noticed tonight that my mic isn`t solid on the camera, I can actually wiggle it like a loose tooth. Is this normal? Or did the guy at Ritz last week break it loose when he tried to grab my camera from me?

Pete Bauer June 2nd, 2007 09:26 PM

It is supposed to be "loose." See also this existing thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89691

Tom Roper June 2nd, 2007 11:24 PM

I was the first to note the observation about the mic.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...46&postcount=4

I am so PROUD! (it's still loose though...)

David Morgan June 9th, 2007 09:57 AM

XH A1 stereo mic is getting loose

My on-board mic is about to pull out. Anyone know how to tighten this thing?

Ryan Flesher June 9th, 2007 10:03 AM

Mic

I glued mine back on.
Ryan

David Morgan June 9th, 2007 10:06 AM

Permanent glue like crazy glue? I wonder what Canon recommends? If you ever needed to service this thing, I suspect you'd never get it apart?

Bill Busby June 9th, 2007 11:49 AM

Lordy! If it just wiggles a little, this is normal. Hope you didn't fall into the glue scenario.

If it's near dangling, then a trip to service is in order
Bill

David Morgan June 9th, 2007 02:37 PM

Well, it does sound like I'm not the only one who is having this problem. There are, what appears to be screw holes on the bottom side but access would require a special tool or something because the lens is in the way. It's way looser than when I bought the camera. Not quite falling off yet. I'm surprized that there aren't other threads addressing this issue.

Not only that but, it's starting to ring of what my intial concerns are about these cameras. They aren't built to take much physical abuse. Too much delicate plastic. Just look at the battery compartment and the release lever.

regards
dm

Jarrod Whaley June 9th, 2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Morgan (Post 694586)
They aren't built to take much physical abuse.

So don't physically abuse your $4000 camera? ;)

Good-natured kidding aside, there are lots of other threads about this; the mic is shockmounted to reduce camera and handling noise. If the mic is in fact getting looser with time as you suggest, then you might have a legitimate problem. However, I'd suggest not worrying about it too much unless the mic actually does fall off or something. Maybe it's just "settling in" to its natural state, who knows? I suspect that you might feel the need to fix this before it fails in a critical situation, but then if you're using a built-in mic for something critical, then you've probably got bigger problems to begin with.

Take all of the above for what it's worth. I may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about. :)

David Morgan June 9th, 2007 07:59 PM

yep, well, I really do take care of the camera. However, I have a lot of stuff jammed into my camera case. Headphones, shotgun mic, shock mount.....the list goes on. I suspect that the mic took some unintentional upward or downward pressure. It moves at least 1/4" up and down. Definitely getting loose.

On the subject of usage, I try not to use it for a lot of reasons. However, I just recorded something outdoors and there was just enough wind to create a problem with my outboard shotgun mic with windscreen. I don't have a zepplin or deadcat etc... as I don't shoot outside very often. Had to resort to the onboard mic. Definitely not my first choice but saved my bacon.

regards
dm

Luke Burns June 17th, 2007 01:30 AM

I just got my XH A1 yesterday, and before I even shot with it, I noticed that the built-in mic was loose. It's now even making a noise like there is something loose inside it, I hear in the audio and when just lightly shaking the camera. I just wanted to make sure that this is what you guys are talking about. Is mine worse? Thanks.

Kathy Stannard June 17th, 2007 04:20 AM

Mines loose also, it's just the way they are built. I think using a small screw driver (for glasses) you'll be able to tighten the screw on it. I haven't tried yet. I don't tend to use the on board mic, unless it's purely as a guide track.

Chris Hurd June 17th, 2007 12:08 PM

It is SUPPOSED to be loose. We've discussed this here many times. If it's NOT loose, there's something wrong. See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....40&postcount=7 for details. Do NOT try to tighten it. It's made that way for a reason.

Don Palomaki June 18th, 2007 07:44 AM

Hmmm. Sounds like someone needs to create a bit of persistent video or graphic image showing the "normal" range of motion of the built-in mic. Too many folks obsessing about it, and a fair number no doubt needlessly.

Steven Taylor July 25th, 2007 06:12 AM

Wobbly A1 Mic

Hi,

the built in Mic on my A1 is very wobbly, I expected it to move a little for shock absorbtion.. but mine seems to rattle away from the rubber or soft element inside. Anyone had the same problem? Is there any way to adjust it?

Thanks

Steve

Chris Hurd July 25th, 2007 07:07 AM

Normal. Frequently asked. Merging w/several earlier threads.

Steven Taylor July 25th, 2007 07:58 AM

Yeah, like I said I expected it to wiggle, but mine feels like it has a few mm of completely free movement between the hard surface of the mic and the plastic baffle inside. Which renders the shock absorbtion less than useless.

Chris Hurd July 25th, 2007 08:16 AM

No way I know of to adjust it on your own... sounds like a trip to Canon factory service, sorry.

Alan Craig July 25th, 2007 12:15 PM

The first A1 I bought I sent back thinking it was faulty because of the mic I have since been told that it was made like that to try and dampen the handling effect so it is apparently not a fault but a deliberate design.
Hope this helps.

Don Palomaki July 25th, 2007 02:23 PM

The design is similar to that used on the GL1 and GL2, evolved out of the design used on the original Canon A1 (a Hi8 camcorders) from long ago, and no doubt similar to that used on other camcorders and by other makers. Works well for most users, but it ain't sailor proof as we used to say.

Perhaps more appropriate to say that you don't like the design for your intended use of the camcorder rather than that it is a terrible bit of design. Many folks no doubt find it to be a perfectly acceptable bit of design with in the context of its purpose, and better than many alternatives.

Michael Scherr July 30th, 2007 12:41 PM

Loose microphone at my A1

It seems as if I packed my to tight for travelling. Coming home i recognized a unfirm microphone. It doesn't seem to be brocken but it is loose. There is a gap of about 0.5 mm at the rubber piece between the microphone body an the hand grip. Did anyone suffer the same damage and fixed it on his own? Is this an Achilles' heel of this wonderful piece of technique?

Michael

edit:
Sorry, there are already threads about it, it's an Achilles' heel, I'm a newbee and my post should be moved in the "Mic Loose?" thread ;-)

Kevin Amundson July 30th, 2007 06:16 PM

Your mic is supposed to be loose. It's a shock mount feature to reduce tape drive and camera operator noise. Please don't glue it back together as some people have done. That is the worst thing you can do. Just leave it be.

Nathan Quattrini August 2nd, 2007 06:58 PM

How much should it move down to up to be normal? My friend just picked it up out of my bag by the mic and its got me pretty scared. Why aren`t people more careful??? It moves down to up about 1/8th inch at the tip. Can someone else measure theirs to ease my mind?

Kevin Amundson August 2nd, 2007 07:43 PM

When the mic is in it's normal position on my camera it is 1.28 in(32.7 mm) above the lens hood. This measurement is from the flat of the lens hood directly under the end of the mic to the flat black band on the bottom of the mic. when I lift the mic up with my finger it is 1.45 in(36.9 mm) above the lens hood. With these measurements we can see that the mic fluctuates 0.17 in(4.2 mm) or just over 1/8th of an inch.

NOTE: All these measurements were taken will a digital caliper.

Sean Hill August 2nd, 2007 08:02 PM

Yeah my A1 is only a month old and the was loose right out the box. I was curious about this too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hmmmmm...

Michael Buonopane September 26th, 2007 08:44 PM

Xh A1 Loose mic issue

Just got my A1. Silly question to anyone who knows the answer. My internal mic wiggles a little. It seems a little loose. Not firmly attached to camera body. Is this normal?

Jay Legere September 26th, 2007 09:27 PM

100% normal...for the A-1.

Sould be viewed as a good thing. Reduces picking up camera noises during operation.

Jay

Michael Buonopane September 27th, 2007 05:01 AM

mic issue

Thanks for the reply. That makes total sense. So glad I dont have to return it.
Canon confirmed that this is normal and part of the design...even for the G1

Jason Toth December 19th, 2007 01:30 PM

Having same issue - any fixes besides sending back

Yes I know the mic should have some play cuz its on a rubber shock mount. BUT mine is drooping downwards, it doesn't just wiggle when I press on it - it's loose, like I can see the internal wires that connect the thing.

Anyone know how its mounted and a quick fix w/o Canons help? Doesn't look like anything except the wires are attaching the mic to the camera - weird!

Thanks, Jason

Jason Toth December 19th, 2007 01:48 PM

Any fix for a loose mic?

PLEASE don't say its supposed to be loose, some of us are having issues other than some play cuz its on a rubber shock mount.

Mine is drooping downwards, it doesn't just wiggle when I press on it - it's loose, like I can see the internal wires that connect the thing - a good 1/4 inch gap!

Anyone know how its mounted and a quick fix w/o Canons help? Doesn't look like anything except the wires are attaching the mic to the camera - weird!

Thanks, Jason

Rene Brunken December 19th, 2007 03:50 PM

Lose mike on A1

I solved the "problem" by wrapping a elastic rubber band in the slice between the mike and the housing. In this way it is still possibe to move the mike but it has no chance to rattle.
After this modification I have recorded some very loud noise ( pop concert ) and the ratling that I had before was gone. Now I have to solve the influence of the loud noise on the image. It seems that the image stabilisation is moving on the sound which is visible in the recording.
I hope my explanation is clear.

Gr.
Rene

Jonathan Shaw December 19th, 2007 04:10 PM

Jason,
If you can see the wires that isn't normal. Reckon its a trip to Canon, unless you fancy trying to take it apart and tighten it. I would take it to Canon though

Jon

Don Palomaki December 19th, 2007 09:06 PM

The nominal range of motion (up/down) of the front end of the microphone is about 1/8 inch (~3mm). Much more than that indicates a problem.

DIY attempt to repair the mic may void any remaining warranty.

The are a number of small screws visible in the handle assembly. But not clear if additional internal need to be removed to open the handle, as was the case with the GL1.

Chris Hurd December 20th, 2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Toth (Post 795411)
I know the mic should have some play cuz its on a rubber shock mount. BUT mine is drooping downwards... I can see the internal wires that connect the thing. Anyone know how its mounted and a quick fix w/o Canons help?

If it's drooping downwards and you can see the wires inside, then you have a problem which needs to be serviced. And there is no quick fix that I'm aware of. Your camera really needs to go to a Canon factory service center for a proper repair.

The onboard mic *should* be loose, but *not* drooping down.

John Gyovai December 20th, 2007 11:59 PM

drooping for sure...

I will post a pic, but mine is drooping for sure and getting worse.

update:
Here is a picture or at least a link to a picture. Not sure how to do this on this forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=786&c=2

Chris Hurd December 21st, 2007 08:28 AM

Hi John, thanks for uploading to our Image Gallery.

Hmm, to me it's borderline... it *might* be a little too loose. Mine will flex that low if I move it by hand, but won't go quite that far just sitting there on its own. Will try to get some pix up shortly...