Day in Seattle - New footage with the XHA1/LEX combo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 6th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #16
Regular Crew

The workflow for creating your website sample clips...

Hi Steven,

Great Work! I have a few questions regarding the process (workflow) that you are using to creating your Web site sample videos:

How are you getting the wider than 16:9 aspect ratio for your Quicktime sample clips? Is this wider ratio also possible for the Windows Media format?

Are you using any special settings when rendering your videos? The download (streaming) time is very good and the quality is excellent. I have found it difficult to creating web videos that have both a fast streaming speed and good picture quality.

I am using Sony Vegas for my NLE and would like to improve the quality of my Web clips. Any advice or suggestions that you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,

Jerry Neal
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #17
New Boot

Wow.

That was nice. Almost made me cry. Seriously.

Also makes me want to move to Seattle.
Reggie Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #18
Regular Crew

yeah Steven, you got it now.
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #19
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Neal View Post
Hi Steven,

Great Work! I have a few questions regarding the process (workflow) that you are using to creating your Web site sample videos:

How are you getting the wider than 16:9 aspect ratio for your Quicktime sample clips? Is this wider ratio also possible for the Windows Media format?

Are you using any special settings when rendering your videos? The download (streaming) time is very good and the quality is excellent. I have found it difficult to creating web videos that have both a fast streaming speed and good picture quality.

I am using Sony Vegas for my NLE and would like to improve the quality of my Web clips. Any advice or suggestions that you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,

Jerry Neal
Hi, I didn't realize this thread was being revived....let me try to answer your questions here...

My final output is done in Sorenson Squeeze although I just got Vegas 8 and I will now bypass Sorenson and just render mp4 files...Vegas does a great job.

The aspect ratio is set to a 2.35:1 size, also known as Cinemascope. Basically you just crop top and bottom 12.5% each. In Sorenson, you can add crop marks and then just define the final absolute size of the frame and it does the rest for you. Not sure about WMV, haven't tried it.

My ISP uses superfast servers so I have had good luck with data download speed. Other than that, I would urge you to look at the settings I used by opening up Quicktime and from the top menu go to WINDOW->SHOW MOVIE INSPECTOR

If you are just using the regular 16x9 aspect, the settings that I find to be best in Vegas 8 using the mp4 setting is to make the size 640x360 and the bitrate at 2mbps
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Steven,

Great stuff!! I'm on the fence of buying the LEX (+ rods) but am wondering if I can use it without an external monitor. What is your experience?

Best regards,

Robert
Robert Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #21
Disjecta

Robert, it takes some getting used to but I would say I shoot about 80% of my stuff without an external monitor.

Everything in this piece was just using the LCD
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Steven

Thanks alot for your quick answer, that is really promising! I just started with the A1 so I want to learn a little bit more about the basics of the camera, but I miss the lower DoF in the A1!

Best regards, Robert
Robert Wide is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders