Here is goes... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Here is goes...

ok so, here it goes. My birthday just came around (Jan 1st yay! now im 15!) and i got $1000. I Have my A1 and a manfrotto tripod. I'm looking for a nice boom kit, and would have LOVED a 35mm adapter, but i couldn't find one to get my started that was under 930, and that just wont let me get a boom. ahaha. so are their any opinions as if i should get a cheap boom kit,( Azden X2 and boom would cost me only 180) than buy some other accessory? I also have lights so those wont be needed. Thanks to anyone who took the time to even read this, and even more thanks to the people who put their 2cents in =D
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Are you thinking about the Azden SGM-2X?

Before you buy, compare specs to AT-897, Rode NTG-2, Sennheiser K6/ME66 and then make your decision.

On getting a cheap kit - in general, why put a cheap kit on an expensive camcorder if everything else is not not cheap.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Contributor

I don't see any Azden mic and boom that cheap at B&H.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, as to the "cheap" microphone. I went to a dv expo a few weeks ago and they had a special, 175, for a 2x. I also have a gift card for the same place, bringing it down to 125, i than see a canivision boom pole at bh for 90 bucks, carbon fiber too =o! I've heard peoples criticism toward the X2, but i mean for 125 cash, i think it would be a nice beginners microphone.

The initial question basically is, should i get the kit posted above, and than spend my money on another variable for my camera, or should i put the money mostly into my mic?
thanks for the speedy replies though=D very appreciateddd
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Contributor

A cheap mic properly used is better than a good mic stuck on the camera. It'll probably do OK for you at this point. You're probably just going to be recording dialog, right?

Double check that fishpole before you buy it and make sure it's long enough. Usually the cheap ones are only 5-6 feet.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Thats probably the best advice if hear so far. The pole is 7.5, i dont know if that is enough, but it should be. And even if not, there is a rode for $100, not carbon fiber, but still fine. So now that ive decided on that, what should i buy with the rest? It'll be about 800 or 700. any ideas? lol
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am assuming you have Cases and tapes and batteries? What about an ExpoDisc?

Wireless Mic Kit?
Lighting Kit?
Computer Upgrade parts?

Clothing?
Legos?
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Major Player

ahahah i was thinking about the legos but i restricted this money to camera supplies. The wireless mic is an option, but do you think it would be money well spent to buy a Firestone or some sort of portable recorder?
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #9
Wrangler

[Quote]A cheap mic properly used is better than a good mic stuck on the camera. [\Quote]

The trick of course it to use the cheap mic within its limits, and adjust expectations accordingly.

My point is that a person who wants the best gear will never be happy with a cheap gear much beyond the time it takes to find out it is cheap in ways beyond the price.
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If I had an extra $1000 to drop on camera gear I would save up a little while and get a Firestore. That's simply because a tapeless work flow is something that would streamline my workflow emensley. It's NOT a necessity though.

If I were you I would focus on necessities and not wants. You'll be pissed if you have all this cool new gear and then go to record and realize your final product sucks becuase you bought a lousy mic or terrible lights...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Contributor

Good point--the cheaper the mic (or camera for that matter) the more you have to be careful to learn its limitations and work within them. Builds character.
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #12
Major Player

well, after hearing all this. im gona go with the senhieser M66, and just a cheap pole i think...than i guess ill have to figure out a way to get some other lights or a work around. thanks!
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #13
Regular Crew

You might do a google search for building a photographic crane. Several items will come up.
cheaper than buying one new. also check ebay for a used one and try www.craiglist.org

ken
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #14
Wrangler

Audio and other gear comes and goes on used gear lists with great regularity. You can find bargains there, (and abused gear too). The LA areas should be a hot bed for that sort of stuff.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders