Music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 4th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Music video

Hi,

I'm making a music dvd for an artist called Ana Silvera. We filmed 10 songs in a studio down in London last month and I'm in the editing process now. I can show you one of them now:

http://www.libelulafilms.co.uk/video/jenequitte.html

The quality of the file is not very high but.....

This is my first 'music video', It was filmed with 2 cameras. My Canon A1 and a borrowed Sony Z1. We struggled a bit to make them look the same but it might have worked :) hope you like it!
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That was beautiful!
For a 'first music video', that was really well handled.

I don't know if you were involved with set design, but the use of fairy-lights on the dim-lit set looked so good.

Well done :D
Andrew Strugnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Major Player

nice work! What settings did you use for the A1 for this shoot?
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks for your comments.

Yeah I was involved with the set design but the studio looked really nice in first place. We used a kino flow as a key light and a few dedo lights to add atmosphere and nice reflections on the piano.

The settings on the A1 were pretty basic. I tried to make it look as flat as possible so both cameras had the same look as I didn't have any experience with the Z1. We decided to play with the lights for a long time before the shoot rather than the camera. Medium gain, f4.8, 1/50 I think. We went for 50i cause the Z1 doesn't shoot progressive.
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Loved the video - the visual treatment was perfect for the song - not to overdone and subtle enough to let the music take center stage

Was the audio recorded on the spot or did the final come from a pretaped version? And if live from a soundboard or thru one of the cameras?

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That was a pretty cool video. I liked the slow dissolve in the beginning from the chick singing to the silhouette singing. It was really cool.

It did look like some of the shots were out of focus though. They're barely out of focus but just enough to where it's noticeable. And when you have the close up of the piano hammers hitting the strings, it'd probably look cooler if you were shooting the treble side of the song instead of the bass. You'd see the hammers hit the strings more and it'd be more visually appealing.

Other than those two things though it was a really good video. Well done.
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks!

The audio was recorded on location. We filmed in a music studio so we had a sound engineer recording while we were filming. We did two takes for most of the songs and after that he (engineer) chose the best out of them as the definite one (sometimes even mixing them together). So now I'm struggling to synchronize the footage of the 'non used' take to be able to use it in the edited piece! :)

The out of focus thing is just a lack of experience, I guess. There's a very noticeable one at the beginning of the video when the girl appears for the first time that kills me every time that I look at it! :( but hey, it won't happen next time! (I hope)
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders