Sony eye cup. How to remove the stock one? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Same problem in the Netherlands here.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #17
Contributor

In the U.S. it's only sold by Sony's parts departments, so you might try finding a Sony service place and see if they can order it for you at a reasonable shipping price.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Bickford View Post
I've been meaning to find out what type of glue is best to use rubber on rubber as the sony cup will tend to slide back with repeated use.
I picked up some LOCTITE Super Glue Gel in a Blue tube with red and white lettering. Works like a champ, but you gotta work quick with it. What I did was put the Sony cup in place, then "peeled" it back towards the front of the camera and applied the glue all the way around leaving about a 1/16" or a little more from the edges so it wouldn't push out when I rolled the Sony cup back in place.

It works.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin D. Smith View Post
I would love to purchase one of these sony eye cups but I cant seem to find any retailers in the UK that will supply one....not even Sony. By the time I pay $30 and the shipping and import tax to get one sent from the US to UK it becomes an expensive add on. Any one know a retailer in the UK especially Scotland that stock or can order the Sony eye cups or anything equivelent to fit a A1.
Cheers in advance
Martin
I asked the UK dvinfo sponsor about this last year, via e-mail, but had no reply. However, Creative Video (aka CVP) in Studley near Redditch said they could get them. Since it's a Sony spare part, only available from Sony authorised dealers, it's very expensive and everyone will quote you exactly the same price - around £50 IIRC (i.e. $100!). I haven't bothered to get one yet.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #20
New Boot

UK Supplier - Reply to Martin

H

Got mine from http://www.cke.co.uk/ and it was around £47 (from Sony). It is well worth the money!!!!

Speak to Phill and tell him Mr Tufail @ Visians recommended you!

Regards,
Munaf
Munaf Tufail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

i gotta admit, i had a sony before the canon and the first thing i missed was that eye cup, and i'm not just saying that, it's the truth. secondly i preferred sony's barn door lens hood as opposed to a regular lens cap but that should be reserved for another thread.

besides that site mentioned above, in the UK, are there any sites in the US or Canada? thanks
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #22
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ony+eye+cup+a1
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #23
Regular Crew

thanks bill, but none of those sites in that thread ship to canada, i'm still left hanging.. might have to hit up a sony store, ughh..

actually one of those sites ships to canada, for 58$ shipping!!!!!

Last edited by Bryan Wilkat; February 14th, 2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: one of the sites ships to canada, but unreasonably high shipping..
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #24
Major Player

How about these guys:

http://www.nexttronics.com/catalog/sony/2/217941401.htm
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #25
Regular Crew

thanks bill, still kinda pricey shipping. i ended up finding one for 40$ at a local camera shop, such an improvement!
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders