A1 and HV20 and Tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Major Player

A1 and HV20 and Tapes

I just got my HV20 for my A1 "deck." I only use the Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ in my A1 (63 Minute Mini DV Advanced Master Quality Videocassette).

As mentioned, I will be using my HV20 mostly as a deck, and occasionally as a family/home-video camera. Since I will be using the AMQ tapes on playback in the HV20, would I be smart to just use AMQ tapes in the HV20 for the "homevideo" things, or would it be okay to use the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ or even something else (Sony, or whatever).

Are the AMQ tapes major overkill for the HV20? (this is what I think). Do I need to worry about the HV20 heads and mixing tapes on it like I would my A1? Should I at least keep it in the Panasonic family, or can I use any old tape I get my hands on for the Hv20?
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Are the AMQ tapes major overkill for the HV20? (this is what I think).
If they are not overkill for the A1, they are not overkill for the HV20. They might be overkill for a given shoot if it is not very important to you, but that is your decision. Keep in mind that tape, any tape, is cheap compared to the cost of the event, especially if it is a once in a lifetime event. And you save money buying tape in larger quantities, not one or two at a time.

General wisdom is to stick with one type of tape that you have found works well for you, or change very often. Most problems seem to come from switching tape after a long and steady diet of one type of tape. And head cleaning is your friend.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders