Short B/W montage, Jam session at College... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 6th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Short B/W montage, Jam session at College...

some of my suitemates were jamming in our living room today and i thought i'd get the camera out and film some footage. unfortunately the light was awful, i should have manually adjusted the gain but i didn't so it's grainy, also the audio levels didn't pick up as well as i'd have liked them to, so i just put some of the decent clips to my own track.

used the B&WJECTA preset. next time i'll just shoot in color with a better preset for low indoor light and go B/W in post if i want to....

all feedback is welcome.

here it is:

http://www.vimeo.com/668122
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Major Player

I would think any priority "next time" would be an audio issue rather than using a particular preset. Being a musician myself, I quite honestly couldn't watch more than 30 secs or so, if even that... nothing is in sync at all here. For me, I would have chosen the original audio, no matter how bad (well, within reason ;) & edited well with some sense of continuity/sync. But then again, that's just me :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah i know it's basically pointless without the original music. although, with what i did i dont know if you can expect much of it to be "in sync" considering the song was totally different than what they were playing. maybe i'll try to salvage whatever i have later on, but i basically just did it for the images.
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I felt that there was no punch to the B&W. The only reason I can see for someone to use B&W in the 21st century is to create a certain look and I didn't think that happened. Maybe if you'd increased the contrast it would have had a bit more "umph."

And then there was the issue that Bill mentioned. Try to use the original sound and see what you can get.

Overall though I thought you had some nice angles and did a good job of framing. It could have worked out really well if not for those couple of things.
Russ Motyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Haters can go to hell. Hey, man, I thought your footage was fine. Yes, a bit grainy, but some of the shots were great. I liked the tightness of some of the shots and it looked great. Keep at it.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Mahoney View Post
Haters can go to hell.
good lord. oye :-\
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Will :-)

and thanks to everyone else for their comments. I'm always learning, and at this point i try to keep a strong outer shell when it comes to criticism.... but i always appreciate positive suggestions, so thanks.

i will see if i can do anything else with this footage. i'll take some of your comments into consideration. maybe something else will click.
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I Like the b/w

Russ mentioned the contrast issue. None of your shots have any true black in them, and little white. Its all shades of grey. A great b/w photo consists of the entire range from black to white. In the absence of color you are looking for textures and contrast to make the image powerful. The close-up shots of the bass and the drums are nice, would have been nicer with some contrast.
I also like the grainy images. Its your art piece, however, and how you express yourself is your decision.
Oh yea, the sound thing matters, too.
Steve Kachocki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders