HV20 "preset" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Major Player

HV20 "preset"

I've seen a lot of people talk about adjusting the A1 to make it as close as possible to the HV20, but I have never seen a preset for this.

Does anyone have a "HV20 preset" for the A1?
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Major Player

After 86 views, I'm starting to think this doesn't exist?
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

No specific preset has been posted, but if you search the A1 forum on both HV20 and PRESET you will find several hits that discuss what other have found works for them.

Sounds as though there would not be a single best preset but several, which one to use might depending on the lighting, probably thanks in part to the differences between 1-CMOS and 3-CCD sensors.

If you come up with one you like, please share it.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks... Well I'm about to mess around with it for a fluorescent studio situation. I'll have both the A1 and HV20 rolling. If you have any pointers to get me started, that'd be great.
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Claycomb View Post
Thanks... Well I'm about to mess around with it for a fluorescent studio situation. I'll have both the A1 and HV20 rolling. If you have any pointers to get me started, that'd be great.

Hey, I was thinking of getting an HV20 as a B camera. How do you like yours? Hows does the footage integrate into the time line and do you notice a huge quality difference between the two cameras?

Tony
Tony Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ferguson View Post
Hey, I was thinking of getting an HV20 as a B camera. How do you like yours? Hows does the footage integrate into the time line and do you notice a huge quality difference between the two cameras?

Tony
I've only had them for a few weeks, so I'm the wrong person to ask. From what I hear the HV20 is a great camera for the money, but it's not an A1.
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The HV20 surprises, and also true, disappoints a bit in the same time.

The quality of the footage is excellent with enough light (though with this type of glass, in wideangle, you're far away from what the A1 delivers- still, compare this to ANY prosumer camera of a few years ago!), but in low light conditions, the images are affected by a quite irregular noise.

What you could expect ofcourse at this price-level, with CMOS.

As a B-cam, yes, it allows you to intercut f you can find the right color settings. The reds are very different, I wasn't able to find a perfect match. Major question: are you going to adjust your A1 settings because of... the B-cam, the HV20? Or has anyone been tweaking the few settings you can adjust in the HV20?

But clearly: the HV20 not a pro camera in any sense... and certainly the internal mic's sound quality should be judged as very average, also picking up tape drive sounds.

Even not perfect: think of the advantage: you can get completely 'invisible' in the background - really 'fly against the wall', while with an A1, in some crowds - you get too much attention.

I'm also very interested in any matchin preset(s), posted by a good soul on this forum. What has already been put forward a few times, with little result, unfortunately.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders