At a loss with this imaging problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

At a loss with this imaging problem.

I've been trying to get a handle on this problem for a minute. I've contacted Canon but got no answer. I got the A1 because of it's superior picture quality but I'm finding this crazy effect, When I plug the camera into my monitor the effect is not so noticable but when it's on my computer monitor and I'm trying to edit, it's just terrible.
http://insidestreetball.com/site/web...iththisab.html
The above link shows a frame of the problem. At this point I'm not sure if it's the camera or the various capturing software.
The top frame shows the problem, the bottom frame was taken the same day.
It was shot: 24f, 1/60 captured using Vegas 8 which I bought after using HDV split and getting that problem. If anyone has seen this can you please point me in the right direction?
Sherman Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Contributor

Could be your shutter speed. It should be 1/48 for shooting 24f. You might try that and see what happens.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Major Player

I was wondering about that - could unusual shutter choice actually create ghosting on only one portion of the image?

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
I was wondering about that - could unusual shutter choice actually create ghosting on only one portion of the image?
On movement, yes. The car is moving, not parked :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Major Player

ooh - right - didn't even occur to me the car might be moving : ) oye

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi

Do you by any chance have noice reduction 1 (NR1) set in the Custom Preset file you are using?

NR1 have three levels, all of them leaving ghost trails on moving objects. Try to set NR1 to OFF and see what happends.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Bo, I'll give it a shot next time. I guess I have to live with those results for this project
Sherman Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #8
Wrangler

You're looking at two fields blended together on the computer monitor.

This happens because the comp monitor is a progressive display and cannot show interlacing correctly. It's not the camera's problem, it's a combination of the nature of your comp monitor and how your edit software is displaying the frames.
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #9
Wrangler

Although it shouldn't be an interlace issue since 24F is a fully progressive frame, it looks to me like Nate is on the right track about the overlay of multiple frames. I can see at least three semi-transparent images of the car (and no combing artifact typically seen with interlace issues). I don't use Vegas or HD Split so can't even guess how this happened...sure you didn't apply an echo effect or something? Does HD Split support Canon F-Mode? Perhaps experienced users of those software apps can chime in?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Wrangler

Oops, I missed the 24f part. Pete is correct about that part.

Even though what I describe usually looks like "combing", I've seen some display scaling mess it up so it looks like ghost images, depending on the program.
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Wrangler

Actually it looks to me like three frames combined, i.e., background of the frame of interest with transparent overlays of the previous and following frame. This is a method of reducing random thermal noise (not fixed pattern image grain), so the NR1 set to low makes sense to me.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #12
New Boot

Sharp picture in heavy motion

Hey guys (these are my first words in here... :) )

Ok, I just bought a HX A1 (and a HV20)

I am about to start a windsurfing movie project. That means that most of my clips will contain extremely high motion. Zooming, ocean, fast moving surfers who do tricks in 12 frames worst case.

What should I think about regarding the settings in A1 mainly? Like Bo wrote (tjena Bo) above the presets have some noise reductions etc, should I have presets set to off? And then also... I mainly shot in where bright conditions so should I have high shutter speed, as 1000? I have to have razorsharp frames since I do alot of slowmotion in Adobe programes (plugin twixtor).

Sum: How do I make sure to get the best and sharpest picture out of the A1 with the circumstances describe with crazy amount of motion.

Thanks in advance

Peter
Sweden
Peter Svensson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders