Audio/Video Sync Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio/Video Sync Problem

Well for the first time I have a video and audio not syncing at the end.

I shot with only one camera, with a shotgun mic and have no clue why the closer you get to the end the worse the audio sync is.

on the second tape of the event, it seems to be fine, but only used 20 mins of the second tape, but even the end of that seems to be right on.

The first tape hard to see where the sync started going off, no really good places to see where it starts lagging
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Is it definately on the tape or could it be just the captured footage?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
Is it definately on the tape or could it be just the captured footage?
I believe it was the captured footage, watching it on the tape seemed fine. I am capturing using Adobe Premier Pro
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried to re capture the footage? Seams very strange, is this the only tape with problems?
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
Have you tried to re capture the footage? Seams very strange, is this the only tape with problems?
I just recaptured the tape, the tape is fine, I watched it on the viewfinder, everything syncs fine, but even this new mpeg, does not syn, am noticing it at the 10 min mark the audio is lagging.
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Major Player

what makes me mad now is if I open the file in windows media player it syncs fine, so its something to do with adobe.
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #7
Major Player

sounds very strange....
Apologies for not being more help but I am an FCS man.

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #8
Major Player

I downloaded a trial version of cineform, and this did the job,
I will be buying this program, seems to do a very good job of capture, but does eat up some HD space.

Denny
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: Audio/Video Sync Problem

Danny I'm experieincing the same audio video sync problem when I import HDV video in to CS5. Video is a bit ahead of the audio. I never had this problem until I upgraded to CS5. Can you tell me what Cineform is and what it does. How does it interact with Adode CS5 to get the video files into it? Sounds like I could download a trial version and see if it works. Thanks.

Larry Kropp
L&M Video
Larry Kropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Not Danny, but I can help answer the question because I started using Cineform back with PProCS3 when I ran into the synch issue.

Basically, the audio from my XHA1 tended to lag by about 15 frames and the lag increased with longer clipswhen captured in PPro. There was and is something in PPro's capture utility that had difficulty maintaining sync with long HDV tape captures. Capturing from tape with other programs did not have that problem. I tried Cineform because it helped a lot with the mutli-cam editing projects that I mostly do.

Cineform is a utlity software that converts HD footage (including HDV and AVCHD) from its native compressed format to a relatively uncompressed high-def AVI or MOV file with 4:2:2 color space. The basic ideas are that: (a) the decompressed footage is easier to edit because your computer is not loaded up by decompressing frames on the fly with HDV and AVCHD, which translates to better playback; (b) the conversion gives you better color space for correction and matching up multiple cams; (c) color correction can be done in metadata with the company's First Light application (often faster and easier than using your NLE's own filters and effects, some of which require rendering.

Basically, you use Cineform to capture the footage. You them import the files into PPro

Neoscene is strictly a capture and convert utility aimed at HDV and AVCHD.

Neo is a more robust application which includes First Light.

Cineform is now part of GoPro and has new version of its program called Studio. I do not know if its shipping yet (I'm still using Neo.)
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Are you using CS3? CS3 has this known problem for any HDV MPEG-2 it captured, The captured video will start out of sync right after any drop out. It was quite painful.

What I did was to use another program to extract the audio (wave or mp3) out of the captured MPEG file. Then import and relink it in timeline with the video portion.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #12
Major Player

"Are you using CS3?"

Not for a long time. I'm using CS 5.5.

Sorry if I caused any confusion by saying "back with PProCS3." I suppose it would be clearer for me to explain in more detail like this.

"Four or five years ago, back when I was on PProCS3 and shooting HDV tapes, I ran into the audio synch problem with HDV tapes. I no longer do much tape cature and I am using Cineform Neo 5.5 with PPro CS5.5. Years ago, when I ran into the de-sync'ed audio, I found that the problem was Premier's capture utility. I could capture with HDVSplit or Vegas and then import the files into PPro without problem. I tried the then-available version of the Cineform demo and found that it also solved the problem plus it also made for smoother real-time playback during editing of my multi-cam event shoots. So I bought it. These days, I only occasionally need to capture from tape as when a customer brings me a tape or when I need something from an archived shoot, On my system, PPro CS 5 has had intermittent problems recognizing my XHA1, and, once in a while, the captures still have the audio-synch problem. Resorting to Cineform for the capture avoids those problems."

Clear enough?
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders