External Monitor confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1
New Boot

External Monitor confusion

With my A1 my goal is to adjust color in the field as needed and to double as a monitor while using a crane. I would like to have about an 8" light weight. Now my true question would be. Do I need a monitor that is 16:9 HD resolution to do color adjustments or can that be done on a 16:9 say 800X420 resolution type monitor and will this double as a crane monitor? I hope this doesnt confuse any one. Any name brands leaning on the less expensive side will help.
Brian Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Most low-cost SD-resolution LCD monitors will *not* be sufficient for accurate color correction on set. You'll definitely need an HD monitor preferably connected through component (or better yet, through SDI which is available on the XH G1). Be prepared to spend as much as you can. You get what you pay for; an inexpensive monitor is useful only for framing and focus.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #3
New Boot

Where can I find inexpensive monitors for focus and frameing for my a1?
Peter Svensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

At our sponsor iKan: www.ikancorp.com

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #5
New Boot

Has anyone used the SONY GV-HD700 as a monitor? If so could it be used as a color adjusting monitor as well as to frame and focus. Or take my laptop with a [1394] I-Link port. buy some interfacing software and use my laptop as a field monitor? I'm trying to get as much BanG! for my BucK!. This is part of being a newby. Making costly mistakes and buying something I dont need. The sony GV-HD700 would be great for the reason of having a tape deck as well.

Any thought's.
Brian Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Don't buy the ikan. Its junk. I had one and the battery wouldn't fit, the aspect looked odd and the auto-off glitch sucks. I returned it and bought the Marshall V-R70P-HDA and have been so happy that I did ever since. Don't buy the ikan.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

...or you could rent one - top of the line @ a two day weekly rate. Shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars and it would let you use an 8k rig for your shoot on the cheap.
R. L. Appling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders