Suggestions on a Mic for my new A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 27th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer View Post
What do you mean with second cover? What do you put on top of the softie?
I bought some furry material from a craft shop and sewed up a loose cover for the mic. It's about an inch wider diameter than the Softie and long enough to cover the shock mount and cable-plug. I left a gap in the bottom seam for the shock-mount's shoe and the whole thing is held in place by a couple of bulldog clips. It's a bit Heath Robinson, but it's quite effective and small and light enough to mount on-camera. In very windy weather, there's no substitute for a really good basket...
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hmm, interesting. Never seen before.
Do you want to share a picture of that setup?

It sounds to me like the next best thing after a (for me) unpractical basket.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #18
Wrangler

> If I get the NTG-1 will it only operate as a shotgun mic?

Yes, but that is what most folks want for video. The objectiv is to provide some isolation from sounds to the sides and rear of the scene; i.e., from sound sources not in the image.

> If I need to not use the shotgun function do I have to unplug it from the camera or can I switch over to the camera mic?

The A1 lets you switch between an external and the internal microphone without unplugging it if you are using the XLR input. If the mic uses the 3.5mm mic jack, you have to unplug it.

Keep in mind that the "shotgun" capability means that it picks up sound coming at the mic from the front much better than sounds coming at the mic from the sides or the rear. How mecuh batter? Perhaps by a factor of as much as 10, but it is also frequency and angle dependent.

Most folks will find that an omni directional microphone is NOT desired on a camcorder. You will pick-up too much operator and handling noise. A good omin is well suited for use by an interviewer as a hand-held microphone in man-in-the-street type interviews where it also serves as a prop.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #19
Major Player

Hey guys, i use oktava with my A1 and it is a fab but everybody here talking about the ntg's. i am looking to add another mic with wide pickup. Do you think NTG1 will work. i know NTG2 won't work cuz it is hyper. thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Major Player

I believe they are basically identical except one is phantom power only & the other gives a battery option as well as phantom. Length differences as well.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #21
Wrangler

How wide to you want?
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
I bought some furry material from a craft shop and sewed up a loose cover for the mic. It's about an inch wider diameter than the Softie and long enough to cover the shock mount and cable-plug. I left a gap in the bottom seam for the shock-mount's shoe and the whole thing is held in place by a couple of bulldog clips. It's a bit Heath Robinson, but it's quite effective and small and light enough to mount on-camera. In very windy weather, there's no substitute for a really good basket...
Yep Mark, nearly all wind is a basket case :) But while any deadcat is never the complete answer to wind protection, the guys at RODE went to a lot of trouble with their research/designs. Notice the hairs are longer than most others, this is to help further slow down the wind gusts before they hit the mic.

Wind reduction is difficult to measure and difficult to compare one deadcat against another but I had a RYCOTE deadcat on a RODE Videomic for about 2yrs. Last year the rig got rained on so I changed to a RODE deadcat and immediately noticed the lower wind frequencies/rumble was less apparent.

It was so noticeable at one point I thought I could probably get rid of the rest with SOAP or similar, didn't try it though. Note: this was a light but gusty breeze.

Deadcats do roll the highs off somewhat, try the same speech with and without, but 'with' is preferable in the wind.

Using the NTG-2 or similar shotgun, if at all possible work side on to the direction the wind is coming from.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #23
Major Player

Hey Don, i want it to be 180 degree wide. This is for concert and i will be in the back of the hall.
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders