Civil War Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Civil War Trailer

Shot With A1 & FS-C 60 - Im in the middle of post production with FCS2. This is a rough cut.
The FS-C saved me, I will never shoot without it again.

http://www.vimeo.com/740640

Preset- AVG FILM 24F 1/48 and Auto for wide shots ( sun & haze was bad)

http://thecivilwar.weebly.com/
Rob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #2
New Boot

Rob thanks for posting your video. I thought it was very well done. I was drawn in by the shots of the troops heading out, and at one another. Along with the camera moves, the sound effects of the battle,it was just plain intense, and did get me involved with the action. and this is only a rough cut?
The man that re-enacted the Sgt., I thought did a superb job at describing what it was like for him, and I could picture/hear him doing a narrative of the video. He seems like he would be a very good voice over choice as a story teller.

Rob thanks again, can't wait till the movie opens!

Dave
Paul Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Rob...........

Wow, if that's a rough cut, well done with the finished product.

I agree entirely with Paul, if the Seargeant can be persuaded to do a commentery, the film is made. He's got an extremely natural voice, just right for the subject matter.

Bloody well done!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 02:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Very well done Rob, looks very good already. Especially enjoyed the colors! Is that the AVG Film preset. What sort of color correction did you do in post?

Robert
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Wow, I really liked the color and the audio was killer. Plus, the old guy really made moment for me. He really sealed the deal.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input guys!

The older re-enactor that tells his story is actually an attorney and sets on the bench one day a week. He loves what he does and had been doing it for a long time. He sleeps in a tent outside the battlefield during the whole encampment. We are trying to get him to do the voice over/commentary. My producer found him and told me we had to get an interview with him.

I uesed " AVG Film " preset is the one I got off this website on the preset page. I was going for a cold, old look. This was with minimal color correction.
PRESET03.CPF "AVG FILM" is designed to emulate an average film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.

For the sound I use a Rodes NTG-2

I tried to stay close on the action. The wide shots look good also, and for the canon shots I zoomed in @ 20X.
Thanks Again .

I have learned a great deal from each A1 shooter on this site (thank you).
I only had the A1 for a week before the film days. I am happy with the A1.

Rob Cook
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Major Player

What an excellent trailer. Did you have any trouble filming in the middle of the reenactment? I once wanted to shoot at Gettysburg, but then I discovered there were so many rules, it seemed one couldn't so much as sneeze from the sidelines, much less film, much less in the middle of the 'battle' itself.

From the 'Eastern Theater',
Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Shot From The Slidelines

I used a Little Giant Ladder . I stapped my tripod on and was approx 12 feet in the air. I used the boom pole to hold the sun shade (my producer gets that one). Used 20x zoom alot, to get that " in the mix of it " feel.

I was reveiwing my trailer and I didn't include a wide shot. I will have to update that soon.

http://thecivilwar.weebly.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Civil War Trailer-107_0261small.jpg   Civil War Trailer-107_0262small.jpg  

Old March 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I had been toying with the idea that when I come over your way next year I would do a tour of the civil war battle fields.

Your work convinced me that, now I have the A1, I should plan the trip around this and especially around the reenactments and see if I can film something similar.

Great Work.

Colin
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Colin, I would welcome you. Could have used a 2nd A1 during the shoot. To much action for one camera.
Rob Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders