First Short Film - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks for noticing the Sergio Leone reference. Thats exactly what I was going for!

Originally, I had written the script and actually put together the entire film ending when the adult actor enters the plane. There was no van shot or smiley kid shot. However, once it all was said and done, everyone who watched it agreed that it was missing something- that we needed to go back to the kid for the finale.

Regarding the guns, we chose not to withdraw them because of the many recent shootings and violence in college campuses and schools. The last thing we wanted was for our (hopefully) lighthearted and enjoyable story of imagination to be, in any way, misinterpreted with school violence.

I didn't even think of doing an Indiana Jones reference. That may have been really neat! At the time, I just wanted a different persona for the boy to imagine. Do you think Indiana Jones would have been too similar looking to the Western, and the effect would be lost?

Haha! the kid actor does smile a little too much, doesnt he?

Thank you for the comments everyone, I am taking all of the criticism to heart and will hopefully come up with the best version possible. I can't say how helpful the people on this forum really are.
Takashi Doscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #17
Regular Crew

A really great idea and story. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I liked it.

Colin
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #18
Major Player

it reminded me of those old cartoons where the kid is always fantasizing in school - different heroic adventures that take him in the deep, or into space, or the jungle etc - it would always start with him gazing at something existing in the room that transformed

I loved the creativity - the comments were good - would have been nice to mimic some of the school yard bits in the fantasy scenes to tie them in a bit more - ie if the landscape of the western had rocks and objects in similar places to the playground items when it melds back in

I understand the plane comments being a bit out of context - if you'd had three different scenarios it might have been more balanced. Or stick with the one western.

interesting angles on some of the western shots. The only shot I wanted to see slightly different was the far away horizon one where their heads were too close to the horizon, cancelling themselves out somewhat - a more exaggerated shot would have added more drama, or some dutch angles

the really low angles from the feet were unusual - made the far away person look like a tiny person from land of the giants - which in context with the idea of the film, fits

good creative piece

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Need Help!

I know this post is a bit old, but I need some help!

I am trying to take out the Gators Symbol on the plane in one of the final sequences but I am not sure how to do it. It is kind of difficult because the shot dolleys out. I have Final Cut Studio 2 and Motion. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #20
Major Player

I don't use Final Cut or Motion, but I do use Boris Red that has a tracking/mask function or whatnot & in this case I would track in reverse since the logo starts offscreen. Maybe Motion has something similar.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Vibrant colour

I'm amazed at the vibrance of the colour in the opening playground sequence. Is this all in camera via a preset or colour corrected in post?
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Its all in a preset. Stephen Dempsey's VividRGB to be exact. That thread has been stickied in these forums so do a search. Thank you for the compliment!

Oh and I have successfully motioned out the logo on the plane. I havent had the chance to upload the new version yet, however.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #23
Major Player

That was a pretty solid short Takashi. Pretty good all around with some good shots, good acting and good edit. I liked the story too, simple and effective.

For your critical demographic research I will offer my 2 cents of opinions.

I didn't notice the hozions issue until reading about the posts here. Good suggestion as while it may not be consciously recognized that most of the horizons are through the middle...the shots would just as subconciously seem bigger and more dramatic with some rule of thirds framing.

I did notice immediately the dirt on the actors faces even in low res...
(I'm on dialup sometimes)
Thought the few dark bits of dirt on their faces runied a pretty good shot.

Audio was good but off sounding during some lines of dialog in the field shots. I'd treat it a bit, making it blend with the wild audio more.

The plane/van shots could have been different to work a little tighter. It's a long slow dolly away from the plane that seems like a final reveal shot (but it's not) which doesn't work for me.
The actor could have closed the doors on the plane
/cut/
kid closing door on van and drives away
/cut/
back to actor getting into flightseat,donning headset,flipping switches (jet powering up sounds)
/cut/
behind the plane (with crane would be great) shot over the tail with the hanger doors opening to brightness.
/fade to credits/

The kid smiling in the minivan shot could have faded in and out during the credits (he's got a odd look going on which is kinda mezmerizing).

Very fine work and something to be proud of! Hope you do many more.

All the best,
James
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thank you so much for the nice comments! I agree that the plane/van sequence could have been shot tighter and I like your suggestion. As with any project (especially low-budget and student work), nothing seems to work out quite as planned and everything becomes a learning experience. I am sad to hear that the dirt on the face ruined those shots for you. I loved the detail and thought it added some grit and realism to the image of the cowboy.

Exciting news! We just found out that it won Audience Choice Award at the 10th Annual Cinerama, so thanks to everyone on this forum for all of their help!
Takashi Doscher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders