XH A1 Premiere CS3 and um Vista 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
New Boot

XH A1 Premiere CS3 and um Vista 64

Hey all,

Sorry i didn't put more in the subject but that's pretty much what i have. I have those 3 components and they don't work for me all the time. I won't go as far as to say it's Vista because everything else i have works correctly, BUT it might be vista. This brings me to why i am here.

I have those products i mention in the subject, i have captured before, but now I'm not able to even see the camera at all. I notice in my device manager i have 33 IEEE 1394 host controllers. 32 of which have exclamation points (which i know is a device conflict). My problem is i did something the other day to get rid of all the exclamation points and only have the one that didn't conflict in the device manager and bam i was capturing.

Today i can't seem to get the same result so I'm wondering if you can help me to eradicate the issue rather than try and work around it. Anyone see this at all, ever?

Thanks in advance

-Pat
Patrick Surace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Patrick... You've probably figured out that you have a computer system problem. It would appear that your Canon and Adobe applications aren't at the core, but we're going to need more information to help you diagnose the situation. Such as:
-System hw/sw configurations
-Additional add-in hardware, particularly PCI cards
-Additional software, particularly that which uses a 1394 connection

33 1394 controllers is a lot, so it sounds like something's amiss there. You should probably have only 1 or 2. Since you're using one of these controllers to capture your video, this appears to be at the heart of your problem. You'll need to eliminate those phantom controllers to solve your problems.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Tripp,

You're 100% right I got it to work ONCE. And that was the time I got rid of the conflicting host controllers. With the age of USB 2.0 all my pieces are pretty much USB. I only use the Firewire port for the XHA1.

My cpu rundown is as follows, I have a Shuttle barebones case. 8800 GTS 512 PCI card, Intel Core Quad 2.4, Vista Ultimate 64 now with SP1, 8 GB of ram.

Since my last post, plugging in the XHA1 has removed my access to Premiere CS3 I cannot launch that application anymore.

The reason i say this is because when i posted this i lost access to premere, didn't blame it on the XHA1 at this point in time, that said i called Adobe their only solution was remove and reinstall CS3 which didn't work. I took it upon myself to format the entire computer (being a mac user pre 2001) this is the best solution.

Reinstalled Adobe CS3 launched premiere and Bam it worked! This is still not conclusive evidence it's the XHA1, but low and behold i tried to capture again last night. I plugged in the cam turned it on and Vistas "installing" drivers bubble appeared installed 33 fire wire controllers and killed premiere again.

I already know the only way to get my premiere back at this point in time is to format the CPU again...........I'm more a computer user than camera operator.......I'd rather have my computer work than the camera, but at the same time i got the camera to do some work and i can't get anything done at this point?

Would love to hear someone else has this issue so i can fix it.

I have an XP laptop which all this works fine on, but UM that's a laptop i got this machine and cam to do visual effects and compositing, can't be tinkering with a laptop for that stuff.

U guys rule!

-Pat
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

reinstall your motherboard drivers, or install them if you havent. It seems like your firewire drivers are all messedup. Is the firewire built into the mobo?
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick,

You might have a double problem:
Windows Vista does have a lot of problems with hardware. Even with Service Pack 1, many people end up with more hardware problems than before.
With the 64 bits version of Vista not all hardware is working 100%, that may be the case with your FireWire host.

What you could do: look in your system what branch of controller it is. You can do that in Windows Vista. After that, try to search for the newest drivers you can find. It might be the solution of your problem.

BUT.....

There is a second problem....if you look at the system requirements of Adobe Premiere. You will see that it is compatible with the following Windows versions:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions only)

The 64 bit version is not there on the list. That might also be one part of your problem.

Capturing with Premiere CS3 is also a problem: you might end up with audio sync problems (know problem on the Adobe forum and they may do another update before that is solved) and you don't see what you are capturing. Also, there is no scene detect in Premiere CS3.

Currently I still work with WindowsXP (and I might try out the SP3 as soon as they realeased the Dutch version) it runs without any problems. But there is one thing: I capture my video with Sony Vegas (m2t) and end up editing the material in CS3. Works very well until now.

I might jump to 64 bits in the future. As soon as all software producers finaly start to rewrite their stuff to 64 bits. Until then it's 32 for me.

Please have a look overhere:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-music-...-problems.html

Good luck with your system

Last edited by Gert Kracht; March 23rd, 2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Adding information link
Gert Kracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Gert,

Good stuff. I know about the 32 bit 64 Bit notice on the CS3 BOX........i hate reading it, haha!

I only use premiere to get the footage IN, otherwise i do everything else in after effects. Can i get it in another way?

Once it's frames it's all AE.

-Patrick
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Major Player

I use a CS3/Vista Ultimate 64 setup without issue and have been running smoothly for a few months now. It sounds like others have said, a driver issue. One thing I did change in my vista is the Firewire drivers because vista sucked at accessing my firewire hard drive.

http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp

It has a utility to switch between Microsoft and the UB drivers when needed. Might be worth trying.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

For capturing video you might try this.
If Adobe works in Vista 64, you could develop your own workflow with this.

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

Good luck!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
One thing I did change in my vista is the Firewire drivers because vista sucked at accessing my firewire hard drive.
I think that drivers are the greatest problem for Windows Vista at the moment. Eventualy they will catch up with that and then it's going to become easy to run Vista.

Most of the users don't have a clue what to do when there are things wrong in the hardware configuration. Even experienced people can have a 'wonderful' time searching for the right answer.

I'm really curious when the first real 64 bit version of Adobe will be released and what it will mean for speed and stability.

Still, I'm happy there are some people who are running Vista 32 and 64 without any problems. There might be one catch to it all though: different hardware...
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM   #10
Major Player

I don't have much to contribute on this matter other than I see multitudes of people here & in other forums who are either trying to run unsupported software/hardware on Vista, or it's supposed to be supported but they still have similar/same problems.

Which reminds me of this http://www.blip.tv/file/340692/

I came across that months ago & if anyone who's already seen this... I apologize. And if you haven't seen it... enjoy! :D Cracks me up every time I watch it.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM   #11
Major Player

Just a heads up.

I'm using XHA1 + Vegas + Vista Ultimate 64.

When I connected the camera to the computer and turned it on, I got the "driver installing" popup. It said everything was cool. I turned the camera off (and it gave me the beepboop that a device had been disconnected) and got my tapes ready. I put the first tape in (HDV shot with the XHA1) and turned it on, I got the two beeps that the device was connected, but didn't get the windows autoplay popup that asks me what I want to do with this device. Sure enough, when I opened Vegas or Premiere, it couldn't capture from the XHA1. I did some googling and ended up downloading HDVSplit and voila, even though Windows seemed to have problems interfacing with the HDV, I still could capture HDV.

I did a shoot recently where one tape was shot on an XL2. I didn't feel like doing musical cameras, so I just put the tape into my XHA1 to capture it. The tape wasn't rewound and when I put it into the camera, the HDV logo changed to DV16:9. and the Windows autoplay popped up!

So basically it seems that if the camera is sending an HDV signal, windows seems to have trouble recognizing it fully 90% of the time. (I say 90% because once I was able to get Vegas to start capturing some HDV 24F that I'd shot and discovered that it captured a series of 1 second pieces, but that's another story). I also was able to get Premiere to capture HDV once. Otherwise I've used HDV Split.

I don't know what this means, though. FireWire drivers? Firewire400 vs FireWire800?

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Yes, I have that issue too but as long as I have an HD project setup in premiere I can capture just fine. Everyone in a while I try to capture with a SD project which doesnt work and after 3 minutes of panicing I realize that I need to an new HD project :p

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders