Shooting modes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting modes

Hello all,

I bought a XH-A1 Pal version and to my surprise it only shows 50i and 25f shooting modes on the menu!!!

So no true 24f??!! I've asked me!? Went trough your forum and I've seen that Canon have some upgrade to Pal cameras to shoot 24f.

Can somebody elucidate this for me? I'm thinking that shooting 24f is essential to mimic true film look (aside other obvious items like DOF, lighting, etc).

I know this post is getting somewhat big, but I also wanted to ask you what is the best codec to edit 24f

Thank you in advance,
Nelson
Nelson Alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Nelson. 24F is available on the NTSC-type cameras, for PAL-type it is 25F. There is only 4% difference in these 2 frame rates so the appearance to the eye is very similar if not identical.

Normally you would use 25P in a PAL country, but if you really need 24P as well you can send the camera to Canon for the option upgrade. This allows you to boot up the cam in NTSC mode, which gives you 24F, 30F and 60i, or PAL mode, which gives you 25F and 50i.

Don't really understand your codec question, usually the NLE makes the biggest difference. What are you using?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Richard,

I'm using Final Cut Pro. I was planning to use Cinema Tools if I could get the camera shooting at 24f but I've heard that many people are experiencing problems editing 24f with Cinema tools! Don't know what kind but I assume that it must be related to compatibility issues with the codec used.
Nelson Alexandre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders