Still photos? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Still photos?

Forgive me ahead of time for asking this, but how the heck do I grab a still from a video I shot in HD, and keep it in high resolution as a jpeg? Whenever I save the snapshot to my directory, it gives me a 480x270 jpeg image, and nothing better than that. I hope I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks.
Brett Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

See page 113 of the operator's manual, under "Capturing a still image from a tape." See page 110 for instructions on setting the size of the recorded still image.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I did read through these pages originally, and I've got the still photos on my memory card in 1920x1080 resolution, but when I capture into Sony Vegas and save the picture, it saves it as a 480x270 jpeg. I'm new to all of this capturing stuff, and I just can't figure out how to save the photo simply as a jpeg in my computer at that resolution. Do I even need to go through the Vegas software?

Thanks.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Brett, if you know that you have 1920x1080 still images recorded to the memory card, take the memory card out of the camcorder and insert it into an SD memory card reader (widely available at your local electronics store for $10 to $20). Connect the card reader to your computer via USB cable (some of the more expensive card readers are FireWire, but USB is all you need). Copy the photo files to an image folder on your computer and open in your image viewing / image editing program.

If Vegas isn't importing these images at full size, then that's a configuration question for our Vegas forum. Try asking there if you need further assistance: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot for the card reader information Chris, as it will probably solve my issue. But I'll also ask in the Vegas forum just to find out if there is a way to do it through that software as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Major Player

When you capture your HD video in Vegas you can grab a still with the disk button that's above your preview screen. First set the preview resolution to Best - Full then click the disk button and save the still as .jpg. In the accompagnying example I took a still from the footage I shot last weekend of the Marathon in Rotterdam. As you can see the image is 1920 x 1080.
Attached Thumbnails
Still photos?-vegas-still.jpg   Still photos?-marathon-hd-still.jpg  

Old April 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Kees. I posted my question in the Vegas forum as well and that's exactly what it was. I just had to change the preview screen to best (full) before taking the snapshot.

This is a great site, with lots of helpful advice. :)
Brett Daly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders