Sending the A! for service - your experiences? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Sending the A! for service - your experiences?

My play button on the top handle doesn`t 'push' like the rest of the buttons. It still functions but doesn`t move up and down. I want to send it in for repair (I believe there a standard one year warranty) but am unsure how to go about it. What is the safest way to mail it? Will they cover shipping? How long does it usually take to get service and the camera back in hands?
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Trustee

I've not sent my A1 for service but did have a dead power supply on my HV10 which required service. I assume the process is the same for both cams.

My experience was quite good. After going to the Canon site to fill out a service request, I packed the cam up in it's original box and sent it, insured, to their service facility in New Jersey at my cost.

The Canon service Web site will update status on the repair, however with no update for my unit after a week (which was how long they said mine would take) I called them to inquire. The rep was helpful and found out that they were waiting on parts and said it should take another couple of days. Three days later I received an email saying that it was shipped.

Total turnaround time was two weeks and the HV10 was fully repaired. I would expect your service experience to be similar.

Hope that helps.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The first time I sent my cam I paid for the shipping, the second time they paid for it, but I'm pretty sure if you ask a service rep they will pay for it.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Wrangler

I'm also curious if people who sent their camera to service in the original box receive the camera back in the same box, or at least an identical retail box?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

2 years ago, I sent in an Optura 50 in the retail box and it was returned in same box.
Michael DAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
I'm also curious if people who sent their camera to service in the original box receive the camera back in the same box, or at least an identical retail box?
No, they are going to tell you that you should not send any item of the camera and that is including the original box. Since they already told me I sent mine with the with a another regular box but with the lens cap to protect the camera lens. And guest what? I received the camera back without the cap.
If you talk with the camera repair center they are going to warning you.
They sent me a new replacement because I specify in the repair service form that the cap was included with the camera.

The box that they used it was similar size to the original A1
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders