Xh a1 or XL H1A? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Very attractive, to be able to change lenses.

But if you really want to take full exploit of this extra feature, and go for additional high end optics, I assume the total cost of your XL H1 will increase very significantly.

On the other hand, the lens of the A1 with magenta chromatic abberation under some circumstances, is also not the summum of what could expect. At least, with the H1 you still might have some choice.

Already stuck with an A1, and relatively pleased with this camera, good that I don't have to make the choice myself now.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Choi View Post
I'm planning to buy a camcorder this summer and I know the XL H1A is coming out soon so I was wondering if it will be far superior than the XH A1?
any recommendations?
I will mainly be shooting music videos and short films for film school.
thanks alot,

david
David, you didn't state what other equipment you have. Both camcorders are great and should be able to accomplish whatever your goals are. But if you don't already have great mics, a tripod, etc... then the money you save with the XH-A1 will go along way to getting you a complete kit.

If you've got a $6,000 budget (or whatever) and you blow the whole wad on a really nice camcorder but have no high quality mics or camera support, then how will that affect the finished product? ;)
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Major Player

Good point Philip,
It reminds me of the ability to fit the A1 on a merlin. An ability lost by the new machine. So to get a steadi shot you need a different rig and if that rig must carry the steadicam name then your looking at significantly more bucks on top of the extra for the camera as well.
All for ultimately the same or similar picture quality & shot
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM   #19
Tourist

Thanks for the reply and helpful insights guys.

To the person who asked me what kind of equipment I have; I have bunch of amatuer external lights, a pretty good tripod, and a poor man's steady cam kit.

I am planning to buy a wide angle lens with bunch of different filters when I make my decision of which camcorder to get.

XL H1A's new technology sounds really tempting but the price difference is pushing me back.

Would you guys say the XL H1A has a significant advantage over the XH A1? What camcorder would you pick if you could choose from either of those two?

Thanks again,

David
David Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Advantages of the XL H1A are already described in posts #2 and #3 of this thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders