Ready to purchase XH-A1 but worried about "XL-H1s & XL-H1A" type upgrades at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Ready to purchase XH-A1 but worried about "XL-H1s & XL-H1A" type upgrades

Hi all,

I've saved up and am ready to purchase an XH-A1 but after reading about the update to the XL-H1 (with the H1s and H1A) I'm worried that something similar for the A1 could be around the corner.

Has anyone heard anything about Canon planning this type of update for the A1? i.e. an XH-A1s etc ... Or can anyone put my worries to rest?

I know I can't sit around waiting for the next big thing otherwise I'll wait forever but I thought it wise to ask the question.

Thanks!

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Matthew... You know that Canon will update the A1 at some point. If I had to guess, look for news at next year's NAB. It's possible, only possible that some of the big brother's features will trickle down to the A1. Hard to tell.

Here's what I'd recommend, if there are new features in the XL H1 that you have to have, you can wait until the A1 gets an update and buy the next generation unit. Or, you can get an H1 now. Otherwise, get the A1 now and start shooting.

We're all chasing technology. If we waited because we expect a newer, better version we'd all still be shooting to 1/2" tape.

Remember, my advice is worth way less than what you paid for it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

If you're waiting, you're not creating.

If the A1 is updated a week after you buy one, no big deal. Just sell the one you have and move up.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Contributor

Why would you be worried about an upgrade? Neither of those new models makes the original XH A1 obsolete. Sony goes through numerous upgrades in all its 2/3" chip cameras all the time. I bought a BVW300 many years ago, and the next year they had the 300A...didn't hurt my camera a bit. Then more recently I had a DSR500, the first minor upgrade version which only fixed a few very near-insignificant things from the original; then they upgraded that. Thousands of people bought the PD150. Then the 170 came out--didn't affect the PD150 owners a bit.

If they didn't do upgrades, that would mean the camera would be a "mature" product and they might quit building it. Which wouldn't mean anything to an owner either. The only thing to worry about would be if you can't get repair parts. But...you can still have an XL1 worked on, and for that matter, Sony still has repair parts for its 3/4" decks and B&H still sells 3/4" tape.

The idea that a new model somehow makes the previous model unworkable is...well...all I can say is go to the library and read some Rushkoff. This one, specifically: http://books.google.com/books?id=Imj...GzOjZBQ&pgis=1 He's sort of a Chomsky for the masses. You'll like him.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chris, Tripp & Bill for your quick responses.

That's pretty much how I was feeling but figured there's no harm in asking the question.

Looks like I'll be ordering my A1 after the weekend. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders