XH folllow focus adaptor and title safe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 8th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Major Player

XH folllow focus adaptor and title safe?

Greetings.

I am seriously eyeing the Canon A1 as my first video camera purchase. I was looking at the HV30, but I just don't think it has the need manual adjustments I know I would imediately want.

I was playing with one at my local store and poking around the menue setting and was wondering if there is a title and picture safe guide. I found the mask setting forthe different aspect ratios, but did not see one for title safe.

Or is this just a SD thing?

Second question: Can you get or even make a follow focus attachment forthe A1. From what I have read, the sensor on the right side of the lens is in the way and there for won't accomadate gearing.

Third- Am I seeing this right? A matte box and follow focus unit from Choziel(sp) for like cameras $3500.00US???? That's over half the price of an EX1.

Man. This better be more than an expensive hobby.

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Levin; May 8th, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Horrible spelling.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Title and action safe areas in the HD world are still relevant. There are different guides available in the A1 and are configurable. The A1 manual is available for download here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14061

This should give you the detail you're looking for.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Major Player

There's only safe action markers. Why would anyone expect there to be a safe title area marker in a camera? I don't get it.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Jonathan,
The XH A1 is a great camera, & yes those matte boxes & follow focus units are expensive from Chrosiel! There are other ones out there. I have seen a follow focus that works with a friction wheel that is about $500. I had never used one before, so decided that rather than spending that much on something i didn't even know would help me that much, that i would make one. Have a look here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=120864
This is the one i have just recently made for myself, & although it doesn't yet look all that professional (cause it's not yet annodised black) it works very well. I have made a few slight adjustments to it since i took the photos & now it works like acharm, & as i have said in one of my posts about it, i am wrapped with how much better & easier it makes nailing a tack sharp focus. As soon as it's finished i will post another photo to show the finished thing.
It was not that hard to make, but you would definately need to have access to some machinery like a metal lathe & mill. Fortunately i did, & was able to make it up without too many problems. If you need any info on how i went about it, just ask.

Bryce
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Bryce.

Thanks for that. I did in fact see your set up before and was really impressed. I don't have access or have the know how for milling metal. I can work with aluminum in my shop. I look forward to your finished piece.

Bill-

Not sure if title marker or title safe are the same.

Tripp- thanks, I've got the manual already, as ussual confusing.

Thank you all for your help.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders