Supporting a matte box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Supporting a matte box

Some matte boxes say that no rails are required. Is it a good idea to trust this assertion, or are rails still recommended?
Jeff Yin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Rails are always recommended if possible. I have one of those matteboxes that are lens mounted and it is light enough that it does work. I modified it so that rails also support it. I just don't feel comfortable putting all of the stress on the lens.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Major Player

marcel - can you give some details as to the parts you used to make the modification. I've looked in to doing it but the parts I have found are very expensive
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

IMHO Short term lens mounted matte boxes (like the Image 2000) are fine if you have a lens that does not rotate at the end while you operate (Nikkor/ Cooke). But if you do then its a situation the demands a rails mounted system. To that end I have learned that saving money on cheap units with rail mounts actually just makes your life harder in the end. It is very frustrating to attempt to slide a follow focus on the rails only to find that they are not well machined. I like Zacuto as the quality is very high, as are the prices - but you get what you pay for.

Last edited by R. L. Appling; May 9th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
R. L. Appling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ralph View Post
marcel - can you give some details as to the parts you used to make the modification. I've looked in to doing it but the parts I have found are very expensive
Peter, the rails I got from IndiFocus had a basic mount that came with the rails. I just built a litle L bracket that I was able to attach to that mount and then mount the other end of the bracket to back of the mattbox with a thumbscrew for easy removal. You could probably buy that rail mount from Tim at IndiFocus at a decent price. The L-bracket and thumbscrew is probably under $2 in hardware.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Major Player

thanks Marcel - I actually already have the rods - but I spoke with Tim at indifocus and he can send me the attachment I need for $10

they have some nice looking product - and great prices!
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ralph View Post
thanks Marcel - I actually already have the rods - but I spoke with Tim at indifocus and he can send me the attachment I need for $10

they have some nice looking product - and great prices!

Yes, I have not been disappointed with their products and Tim is very accomodating. Glad you got what you needed.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders