Preset question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Preset question

Hello all, After looking at so many videos on here I am wondering what people mainly use as far as settings on the camera? I know there's the whole list of them and I do have them installed but some peoples look so clean and nice like Steve Dempsey's work. I have also seen a lot of shots done at night that have almost no noise. Is this a setting they're using or is it color corrected in post? I'm going to be doing some shooting in a low light setting fairly soon but other times I've tried this it just gets really noisy. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin Myhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Kevin,

The number one tip, in my mind, to get good low light images is to set the gain to any setting but automatic.

Automatic increases the gain as necesary to get an image, with the possibility of getting a lot of noise.

If you use +3, +6 you may like the results, +12 is sometimes ok. Higher number, or automatic must be used with caution. (I am more familar with the XL H1, but I think you have these options on the XH A1.)

-3 and 0 gain may not give you the low light performance that you desire.

Proper aperatures and shutter speed will help also. Be sure that the Neutral Density filters are off.
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Some settings seem to be more noisy, other less noisy.
I think that the use of settings can be a great advantage, because depending on the light available you can choose se setting that best fits that situation.

Or simply you may want to achieve the right look without CC, and this can be achieved in the XHA1 because it incorporates so many parameters that let you perfectly get the look you are looking for.

The only thing i noticed, is that the XH A1 seems to not be able to produce blacks. The blacks are slightly greyish, that's why i always CC them.
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders