Shutter Speed on XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Shutter Speed on XH A1

Hi there,
I am a new XH A1 user and been trying to figure out something. All was dandy in the beginning (a week ago) but now when I am shooting in any format and I try to notch up shutter/k wheel, it increases decreases shutter speed. But initially, like other cameras, you can increase the light which is "k"function

Any help would be appreciated.

Jawad
Jawad Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The K next to the shutter wheel refers to the fact that you can adjust the manual color temperature using the same wheel (you have to hit the set white balance button in K mode). This does not increase the light level.
Alex Plank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry but I do not understand your question.

The Shutter / K select wheel has two functions: it will adjust the Shutter speed up or down, and it will adjust the White Balance color temperature up or down in 100 degree Kelvin increments (K).

To change the *direction* in which the wheel works, go to Menu > Customize > Custom Function > C.Fn1 > Tune > 06 Dials Direction > Position 02 or Position 03 > Return > Apply This Set > Active.

Shutter speed control is always active in "M" or "Tv" modes, and can be activated in "A" or "Av" modes by pressing the Exp. Lock button.

To change the *function* of the wheel to adjust color temperature, set the AWB switch to Off, set the White Bal. Preset switch to K, set the White Bal. switch to Pre, and press the WB Set button next to the White Bal. switch.

The Shutter / K wheel now controls the White Balance color temperature in 100 degree Kelvin increments (K). Press the WB Set button again to lock the desired color temperature (K) value. The dial now reverts back to Shutter speed control.

You can deactivate the "specific color temperature in degrees Kelvin" mode by setting the White Bal. Preset switch to Daylight or Tungsten, or by setting the White Bal. switch to memory position A or B, or set the AWB switch to On. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Major Player

I think I asked a wrong question. Thx for all your help. What I should have asked was that how do I unlock f stop. It's stuck at 9.5. How do I make it adjustable in any mode

Thanks
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The Shutter / K wheel has nothing to do with f/stop. That's controlled by the iris ring, found on the lens barrel. The iris ring is the first control ring on the lens barrel, adjacent to the ND filter switch. Of the three control rings on the lens barrel, it is the thinnest, and closest to the camera body (farthest from the front of the lens).

The iris ring is always active in "M" and "Av" program modes. It can be activated in "A" and "Tv" program modes by pressing the Exp. Lock button.

To change the *direction* in which the ring works, go to Menu > Customize > Custom Function > C.Fn1 > Tune > 05 Rings Direction > Position 04 (or 05 or 06 or 07) > Return > Apply This Set > Active.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I suggest you sit down with a cup of coffee and spend some time reading the manual. These are important concepts to understand before operating the camera.
Alex Plank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Plank View Post
I suggest you sit down with a cup of coffee and spend some time reading the manual. These are important concepts to understand before operating the camera.
Honestly guys, thanks and yes that's exactly what I did. The only reason I was in a rush today I had a shoot and since its new camera from me, rather different than my previous hvx 200

Thanks again
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sorry to break into this tread but I am seeing a red flashing PADLOCK on my
display when I do exact as descripted here, trying to adjust the shutter speed
in TV and M mode. The manual doesnt show a padlock neither nor any display
pictures nor is it mentioned on page 94.

Have you seen this before and how to get rid of it?
Henrik Joensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Henrik..................

Yep, this one is a real pain, till you know.

If you dive into the Menu and dial up System Setup, you'll find either Custom Key 1 or 2 has been set to [SHTR D.LOCK].

If that Custom Key is pressed, it locks the Shutter Dial to prevent inadvertant activation.

Simply press that Custom Key again to turn it off.

Long term, allocate something a tad less annoying to the affected Custom Key.

I was playing with Custom Presets on a test shoot, and was inadvertantly pressing the Custom Key 2 instead of Custom Preset On/ Off. That damn padlock drove me crazy till I tracked the little sucker down.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Major Player

While in 'Record' mode, go into menu and select 'system setup'.

Then 'Shutter D.Lock'.

Set it to 'Disabled'.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Good catch, Bill............

Worth noting, the Custom Key will overide/ reset that setting (in either Tv or M modes) if SHTR D.LOCK has been allocated to a Custom Key.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Sign of relief....and a new round of experiment - set customs key 1/2
to none and disabled Shtr D. Lock indeed made the pain disappear.

Many thanks.
Henrik Joensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders