canon xh - a1,setting lcd screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

canon xh - a1,setting lcd screen

When setting up lcd screen is there a screen angle position, particular lighting conditions you have to use when ajusting for brightness, contrast ect, to be sure what you see on lcd looks the same when viewing back footage.
Terry Hulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hulf View Post
When setting up lcd screen is there a screen angle position, particular lighting conditions you have to use when ajusting for brightness, contrast ect, to be sure what you see on lcd looks the same when viewing back footage.

You can never be sure with an LCD-screen that what you see is what you get. This is due to the fact that LCD-screens tend to vary in brightness, depending on the angle it is looked at. The viewfinder is much more reliable for judging exposure.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Major Player

I've set my LCD screen up with the pluge pattern using the color bars looking dead on. This of course isn't foolproof since the slightest vertical viewing angle difference shows it a tad lighter or darker. But at least I know what my "dead on" reference point is.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I've set my LCD screen up with the pluge pattern using the color bars looking dead on. This of course isn't foolproof since the slightest vertical viewing angle difference shows it a tad lighter or darker. But at least I know what my "dead on" reference point is.

Hi Bill. Sorry for my ignorance, but where do I get a decent 'pluge pattern'? Or do I just film the 0,1 density-steps gray scale that I have from my photo business?
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Luc. Activate color bars. Look in the lower right corner. You'll see 3 thin bars (you may have to raise the brightness level to see them). Adjust brightness so the thin bar on the right should just barely be visible of the 3.
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Hi Luc. Activate color bars. Look in the lower right corner. You'll see 3 thin bars (you may have to raise the brightness level to see them). Adjust brightness so the thin bar on the right should just barely be visible of the 3.
OK, tried this. But even at the highest brightness setting, I don't see anything but the even black colour bar in the lower right corner... I suspect that this is something only avialable with NTSC-colorbars, not for PAL.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Hmm. I was referring to SMPTE bars ("type 1" in the menu). You may have it set to the type 2, ARIB HD bars, which still has a pluge but I'm not sure which is the target bar for brightness or the values. Have to read up on it.
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Major Player

OK, it's type two. Found it under 'customize', custom function. Thanks!
Luc
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders