DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   xlr problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/122700-xlr-problems.html)

Jim Froom May 29th, 2008 08:06 PM

xlr problems

Just spent 1 1/2 days working with my A1 with 35 Adapter and matching it to a HV20. Haven't used camera in about 60 day, but it's pretty new with few hours on it. Camera was on all day today and part of the day yesterday.

Decided to hook up some Mic's to the XLR ports which I use all the time. Can't get any levels.

Tried the line in, no audio. Xlr's, no audio.

On board mike works.

Anyone have a suggestion.

I use phantom power, (both mic's and cables work through my mixer), have tested with all switches (that I remember) on and off.

Can't get any response on the levels.

I ran this camera less than 20 hours before I had to send it back for a firewire repair. It hasn't been run 10 hours since I got it back. Feeling a little unlucky right now.

Hoping I'm missing something, but I'm guessing it's broke and has to go back. Went through every page in the manual, found nothing. I keep hoping I'm missing something obvious.

Anybody know of any gotcha's regarding some switch or software setting I'm missing.

thanks in advance.....

Marshall Staton May 29th, 2008 08:38 PM

Is it on external xlr inputs, also is it on mic level?

Bill Pryor May 29th, 2008 09:20 PM

You have to go into the menu and switch it to external XLR. If the built-in camera mic is working, that means it is not switched to external XLR. Then, as stated, you want to be on mic input, and make sure the switches in front and on the side by the cables are in proper positions. And if you're going from the mic, you have to be on mic-in. If you're going line out of the mixer, then you want line-in. It's just a matter of getting the settings all proper. Try pages 47 and 48 of the manual.

Bill Busby May 30th, 2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Froom (Post 885441)
Went through every page in the manual, found nothing. I keep hoping I'm missing something obvious.

Yep, you missed it. Page 48 "1. Activate the XLR input: Open the menu and select [AUDIO SETUP]. Select [XLR INPUT], set it to [ON XLR] and close the menu."

You really should download the pdf manual. Makes searching a cinch.

Jim Froom May 30th, 2008 07:31 AM

thanks

Thanks. I've done everything you all suggested. As stated earlier, it worked before.

I was just hoping maybe there was another place or custom menu I was missing.

Like I said, it's always worked in the past. I re-read every page of the manual looking for a "gotcha". I'm afraid it's broken.

Time to call Canon.

Jim Froom May 30th, 2008 07:45 AM

problem solved

Tried a reset with Canon Tech people. No help. Thought we had it for a minute, but it was set to internal mic.
No XLR or Mic input.

Camera looks new, less than 10-12 hours of taping to tape and another couple hours direct to my computer.

Not having good luck with this puppy. Firewire port went and now this.

It's back to Canon. Not having much luck with this.

Thanks to those who made suggestions. Kind of knew in my gut it wasn't working, but worth the time
to see if maybe there was something I was forgetting.

Doug Davis May 30th, 2008 01:49 PM

I know in the past I have had the "audio level" switch on the left switched to "M" manual and my dials were all the way down...

Just a thought...