30F at 1/30 shutter for talking head? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Major Player

30F at 1/30 shutter for talking head?

Hey guys... I shoot a lot of indoor interviews in small rooms, and oftentimes can only fit a small 250 Watt softbox, a bounce, and my tripod w/ A1 in the room.

I always like to shoot these 1-person interviews at the largest aperture I can, to get the most bokeh for the background. However, what I have found is, sometimes the largest aperture won't give me the exposure I need. Even at the largest aperture, it is underexposed when shooting at my standard 1/60 shutter at 30F.

To get the proper exposure, do you think it would be okay to drop the shutter speed down to 1/30? Looking at the footage on the LCD seems to look okay... but I was wondering if when seen on a bigger screen, I would notice that "slow-shutter" look or jitters. I know 1/30 shutter is too slow for most things, but I thought maybe you can get away with it for a simple headshot interview.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Contributor

You could probably get by with that. A friend of mine shot a second camera at a wedding ceremony once at 1/30 and nobody was moving very fast so it looked OK. I wouldn't think you'd get much modeling with only a 250 watt softbox.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bill... I'll see how it goes... I don't think it will be too much a problem either.

What exactly is meant by "get much modeling with only a 250 watt softbox"? Didn't quite understand what you were trying to say there.

Thanks!
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Major Player

I shoot 30p at 1/30 all the time - it adds a lot more light for my dark Vegas venues - and I never have had any motion/judder issues at all...

Good luck,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Major Player

I am positive that should work. Sometime I'm even going with 15f if I think necessary and there is not to much people movement involved.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders