DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Most of you go handheld on movement shots? Or do you use a steadicam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/123431-most-you-go-handheld-movement-shots-do-you-use-steadicam.html)

Arif Syed June 10th, 2008 11:15 AM

Most of you go handheld on movement shots? Or do you use a steadicam?

If you use a steadicam, which would you recommend? I would need one for weddings.

Micky Hulse June 10th, 2008 12:12 PM

I bought this one. :)

But, I kinda prefer the hand held look/feel... Using the built-in image stabilization.

Arif Syed June 10th, 2008 12:33 PM

I made the $14 steadicam for my HV20, I need something that looks better since itll be for weddings.

Nicholas de Kock June 10th, 2008 01:38 PM

I use the Glidecam Smooth Shooter and extremely happy with the results I get every time. You stand out like a sore thumb at weddings and impress the crap out of guests. You will have to get use to constant questions and comments like "bullet proof vest." If you don't want to spend on a Merlin Steadicam I highly recommend the Smooth Shooter. Weight is well balanced and distributed across your entire back, shooting up to an hour is possible, however you will feel it. The single action arm is not such a problem as they make it out, I read countless reviews and the major difference is the spring arms. The steadicam has two the smooth shooter one however the smooth motion you get from the glidecam won't give the single arm away. Money well spent.

Marko Urbic June 11th, 2008 09:53 AM

I bought a Stedicam Merlin and I'm very happy with it.
I'm using it only for weddings.
You need some time to learn how to balance it, but when it's done properly, your shots will imidiately look nice and will get much better with practice.
I also like that it is not that big and intimidating.

Definitly worth it, for me.

Philip Hinkle June 11th, 2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arif Syed (Post 890922)
If you use a steadicam, which would you recommend? I would need one for weddings.

The big thing is learn handheld moving camera techniques. If it is small movements you can do it all handheld and there are training DVDs explaining it. If you want walkaround flying camera type shots then a glidecam type device will be required.

Most of my wedding shooting that has moving shots is subtle reveals, and small flyby type shots that are done handheld. If done right it can look like a dolly shot or crane shot. It takes practice, practice, practice.

Jase Tanner June 12th, 2008 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Philip Hinkle;891548]The big thing is learn handheld moving camera techniques. If it is small movements you can do it all handheld and there are training DVDs explaining it.

Philip

Which DVDs would those be? Thanks.

Philip Hinkle June 12th, 2008 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=Jase Tanner;891888]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle (Post 891548)
The big thing is learn handheld moving camera techniques. If it is small movements you can do it all handheld and there are training DVDs explaining it.

Philip

Which DVDs would those be? Thanks.

The 2 that I know the most about are from Mark and Trisha VonLanken. You can get them from their website or from the 4Evergroup website. They have 2 of them. Moving Camera Techniques Volume 1 and 2. I have both and they show the whole process and are well done. They make great videos too. :-)

www.vontraining.com

www.4evergroup.org