Most of you go handheld on movement shots? Or do you use a steadicam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Most of you go handheld on movement shots? Or do you use a steadicam?

If you use a steadicam, which would you recommend? I would need one for weddings.
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Major Player

I bought this one. :)

But, I kinda prefer the hand held look/feel... Using the built-in image stabilization.
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I made the $14 steadicam for my HV20, I need something that looks better since itll be for weddings.
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Major Player

I use the Glidecam Smooth Shooter and extremely happy with the results I get every time. You stand out like a sore thumb at weddings and impress the crap out of guests. You will have to get use to constant questions and comments like "bullet proof vest." If you don't want to spend on a Merlin Steadicam I highly recommend the Smooth Shooter. Weight is well balanced and distributed across your entire back, shooting up to an hour is possible, however you will feel it. The single action arm is not such a problem as they make it out, I read countless reviews and the major difference is the spring arms. The steadicam has two the smooth shooter one however the smooth motion you get from the glidecam won't give the single arm away. Money well spent.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I bought a Stedicam Merlin and I'm very happy with it.
I'm using it only for weddings.
You need some time to learn how to balance it, but when it's done properly, your shots will imidiately look nice and will get much better with practice.
I also like that it is not that big and intimidating.

Definitly worth it, for me.
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
If you use a steadicam, which would you recommend? I would need one for weddings.
The big thing is learn handheld moving camera techniques. If it is small movements you can do it all handheld and there are training DVDs explaining it. If you want walkaround flying camera type shots then a glidecam type device will be required.

Most of my wedding shooting that has moving shots is subtle reveals, and small flyby type shots that are done handheld. If done right it can look like a dolly shot or crane shot. It takes practice, practice, practice.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #7
Major Player

[QUOTE=Philip Hinkle;891548]The big thing is learn handheld moving camera techniques. If it is small movements you can do it all handheld and there are training DVDs explaining it.

Philip

Which DVDs would those be? Thanks.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Jase Tanner;891888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle View Post
The big thing is learn handheld moving camera techniques. If it is small movements you can do it all handheld and there are training DVDs explaining it.

Philip

Which DVDs would those be? Thanks.
The 2 that I know the most about are from Mark and Trisha VonLanken. You can get them from their website or from the 4Evergroup website. They have 2 of them. Moving Camera Techniques Volume 1 and 2. I have both and they show the whole process and are well done. They make great videos too. :-)

www.vontraining.com

www.4evergroup.org
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders