Shooting racing as day decends to night. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Just a thought about trying these things out. How much practice time do the drivers get at your short track? At UK motor sport meetings, there's usually at least one 20 minute practice session for each race, usually two, to decide grid positions. Can you get along to a practice session?
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #17
Trustee

Chris... I get that completely. While there's probably a way to mathematically calculate what will and won't be in focus at any particular z level, shutter speed, aperture, etc., there's not enough time in this old man's life to figure it out. In all practicality, one needn't know the specific data points anyway, just that it is how it works in general, as you've described it.

You're right about the new cams. But for me it won't really matter. My problem really isn't not enough controls, its not enough hands and a brain that's way too slow! (grin)
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #18
Trustee

Mark... They actually get a bunch of practice time. The pits (you might call it the paddock) open at 3PM and the track's ready for practice something like 30 minutes later. They can practice all the way until about 6, with the first race at 6:30. They'll run six 10 lap heat races and six features that vary from 20 to 40 laps each night for five different car classes. It's a lot of racing.

I'm generally in the pits from when they open to sometime after 5. Then I move my kit to the other side of the track and set up on a platform atop the sky boxes when they open the front gates at 5:30. If I get set up quickly enough I can get some of the practice action from up there, but most practice footage I get is from ground level near the pits. I can get a lot closer and can even walk out onto the track in certain places.

If you want more information on the schedules and classes at my track, go to www.oxfordplains.com

It's kinda funny that you're in Oxford, UK and my track is in Oxford, Maine.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders