lighting a machine or reflective surfaces at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 21st, 2008, 07:40 AM   #1
New Boot

lighting a machine or reflective surfaces

Hi all,

I'm doing a product video for a copying machine. My initial idea was to to get this thing on a turn-table and film it in a studio with a white or black backdrop. What kind of lighting setup would you recommend when filming something that is possibly reflective? I was thinking that soft-boxes might work with a couple hard lights. Any suggestions or ideas?

-Mike
Michael Malagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Diffuse Diffuse Diffuse.... You might try it with a hard back light to see if it creates a pleasing effect...
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

as an did a lot of product work old time still photog that I will say that in my experience there is no cut and dried answer. You use whatever you need to to light it properly to get the look you need. Having said that, yes diffusion is a pretty good place to start but you may also need some lighting to get highlights or to highlight just a particular surface plane so you might need some relective material and I would highly recommend some dulling spray to knock down some of the reflective surfaces.

Lighting a product especially with multiple surfaces like a copy machine is a feel thing. At least it was and is for me. When looking thru the viewfinder(monitor) how does it look. Does it look natural with highlights and shadows in what looks like a the natural place and are they of the right values? Lots to look at OR you simply take 3 or 4 lights of equal strenght and blast it make it flat and go for it.;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM   #4
New Boot

You can use a "Circular Polarizer" Filter.

Quick Example:
http://vimeo.com/886224
Yuri Martins Galliett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You could use anti-reflective spray to prevent light from reflecting off of the shiny things.

EDIT it's actually called "dulling spray":
http://www.leadinghd.com/2008/06/23/...dulling-spray/
Alex Plank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders