litepanel micro lite for A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Major Player

litepanel micro lite for A1

Has anybody used the little micro lite (4 battery version) on the top of their camera with good results?

http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProVideoL...icro-lite.aspx

Any idea if it's worth getting for the A1 or is the light more for the smaller cameras?

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Trish
Im an XL2 user (soon to be a XH A1 user) and i've used the microlite by litepanel, but I own the Swit LED by varizoom. With these LEDs you won't get a far throw on it but for close range its awesome also the length of use is very good.

The pros are (according to me): double AA batteries so if you ever switch cameras you can keep using those batteries (you can purchase rechargeable ones). They come with gels also, tungsten is one. Not heavy. No cables running.

Cons: Plastic body (gotta be gentle with it). Light throw range is not far. Kind of wobbly at times.

Those are all the things i can think of at the moment but for the price and for run and gun (close ups) its not a bad choice. Good luck with your choice.
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Major Player

See the discussion at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124309

I have a post to some video I shot with the A1 with a lite panel micro
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks everyone, for the info.

I'll check that video out now.

trish
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the Micro and love it- light weight, AA Batteries, long runtime, great 56k colour temperature, dimmer. Some of the cons, the mount is really flimsy for the money that the unit costs (it wiggles atop my shoe mount and I am always afraid that I'll hit something with it and it will break off), the filter holder for the coloured filters and diffuser is totally useless and always falls off.

I also posted a short video of a line dance demonstration inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqe5Kfy87Ho
David Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Maybe it's me, but it's just too spotty for 16x9 for my eyes. When I first used the A1 I had a Frezzi mini fill dimmer with a 40 degree wide lamp & while it's always been fine for 4x3 SD, I had to frantically search for something that's even throughout the 16x9 frame and came across a MR16 lamp at Lamps Plus... a Sylvania 60 degree beam spread. No more spotty's or hot spots.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #7
Major Player

do you have a model that runs on light weight batteries or does it need the big belt?

trish
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Major Player

The Frezzi needs a 12v power source. If you want to keep it lightweight all around (keeping weight down on the light & your waist) get one with a 4 pin xlr connector, hop on B&H's site & search for the latest NP1 style batteries. You can get a pouch the NP1's sit in that have an NP adapter that rests in the bottom of the pouch. Very lightweight
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
Has anybody used the little micro lite (4 battery version) on the top of their camera with good results?

http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProVideoL...icro-lite.aspx

Any idea if it's worth getting for the A1 or is the light more for the smaller cameras?

Trish
I would agree with the strengths and weaknesses mentioned here. I just got one and while I wish it didn't drop off so quickly at distance it works well for my use. We shoot mostly weddings and my wife's cam has a 100W varilux dimmable light (usually around 50W) and she shoots from a static tripod. I move around with the microlight. Her light is a good indirect source and my little light gives me that little extra I need for the closeups and fill. It isn't near as bright as my old Frezzi minifill with dimmer but I kept getting tangled in the cords and the battery was heavy for someone that is mobile most of the time. Overall I like the light but if you are planning on it being your only light and shooting alone I would recommend something else. For my use, mostly weddings, it fills the need I have and I love the weight. I have run it for 2+ hours on rechargeable AA batteries and it is still going strong.

Do I love it .... NO. Do I like it....YES. Do I want to keep it....YES.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #10
New Boot

i dont recommend the litlepanels i buy the swit 2000C that is wonderful and the price not is different, and the construction y very hard not plastic, buy one forget the littlepanel is very poor for the price, im sorry with my english is limited,
bye
Jorge Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with my LP Micro, but it's my first on-camera light (swore I'd never buy one!) so I have nothing to compare it too. I had it on full blast and even from 3-4 feet away much of the footage I shot was unusable.

That said, I was shooting black people with particularly dark skin tones in an exceptionally dark basement room, so perhaps I was simply expecting too much from it.

As a couple of other people have mentioned, it's useful as a fill light, nice and light (there is a reason for the flimsy plastic!), and with the AA's you'll never have a battery crisis.

I regret not buying something more powerful first and then maybe bought the LP Micro to use on more brightly lit jobs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders