1920 x 1080 ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Regular Crew

thanks for the explanation. So presumably the extra 480 pixels that the G1 outputs are created by interpolating the 1440 pixels to produce 1920. The values of every 3 horizontal physical pixels are used to create 4 virtual pixels. Is that it?

Presumably that's the same as what happens when you import your 1440 HD into a 1920 timeline, the interpolation being done in the pc/mac.

Thanks

Ian
http://www.festivalpreviews.com
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Major Player

Not exactly. My understanding, and I might not have this exactly correct, is that the A1 and G1 actually produces 1920x1080 signal using a pixel shifting method. The actual pixel count on the 3 sensors isn't as important since they are analog and when converted to digital, it works out to 1920x1080. The signal is then either compressed and resized to 1440x1080 for recording to tape, output through firewire or component, or it remains untouched for output through the SDI connector on the G1.

However, I think you're on the right track with what happens on the timeline.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
Sorry, I mistyped....I meant to say Cinemascope, not Cineform. I really should of made the Video 1280x540 but that was my first attempt at that aspect ratio. The Cinemascope aspect ratio which is 2.35:1 is used in some of the films you would see in the theaters. I just happen to like that look. In the A1, you can set up guides to help you frame for that aspect ratio.
Oooh, very cool! I will look into Cinemascope. Sounds like a great format. :)

Thanks a billion Marcel!!!!

Cheers,
Micky
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
So what I'm doing is setting up a 1920x1080 square pixel timeline and dropping in the 1440x1080 rectangular pixel clip. I then output it as a 1920x1080 square pixel file. Again, I've only done this in SpeedEdit and it works very well. Your results may vary with other NLEs. Give it a try and see what happens.
I have done (kinda) similar things with After Effects... But this was for a web banner:

Create 800px X 250px (or whatever dimension) square pixel project, and drop-in my 1440x1080i footage... after de-interlacing, it worked pretty well.

I am excited to give your technique a go in FCStudio. :)
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Cool. Let us know how it works out!

-M
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Cool. Let us know how it works out!

-M
For sure! I will give it a go on Friday.

Thanks again Marcel!!!! You rock! :)

Micky

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders