airport security, tapes and equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1
New Boot

airport security, tapes and equipment

Hi

I may have to travel with my XH-A1, letus adapter, lenses, Macbook, and cleanign tapes and Mini-DV cassettes. I wanted to know if any damage can occur to the equipment. I figured the hardware may stand up to it okay but I wanted to make sure that the tapes wouldn't be damaged by going through metal detectors or X-Ray machines.

Thanks

D
Darren D'Agostino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Contributor

X-Rays don't damage tapes, only film.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

the only damage that might occure is if the gorillas at the gates stomp on the tapes. ;-)

I''ve traveled quite a bit with my gear and have never had a problem just pack it in a hard case and pack it tight. Oh yeah, don't let go of the case except to put it on the conveyer for inspection and then keep both eyes glued tight to it.

Should be just fine.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the feedback. Guess all should be fine then. I'll watch out for the gorillas.

D
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Trustee

Check the most recent baggage and carry-on restrictions.

It was announced in the news in the U.S. a few days ago that several domestic airlines were going to start strictly enforcing carry on rules.

Last summer I took 8 flights, across the U.S., to London to Prague to Vilnius and back. I had a light weight samsonite carry on. I put foam core in the sides and pads on the bottom.

I carried an XH-A1, Century .6x wide angle, Pentax K10 DSLR, a mic, tapes, some other expensive parts, a Gitzo small fluid head (I think I put the tripod in the suitcase)... all weighing in at exactly 15 lbs. Virgin Air max was just under 15 lbs.

I got through everywhere. With Virgin Air I asked at the counter is I was overweight, and even though I was a tiny bit, they tagged the bag as carryon. This meant that the airline had inspected/weighted it and it had been approved, limiting the possibility that it would be taken from me at the gate.

I should also say that I strictly stayed within the size requirements.

In case I had to make a change, I was ready to take out a couple of small but heavy items and put them in pockets.

I find that telling some inspectors that you are doing a documentary and/or you are a professional photographer will limit in depth inspections... though anything is possible.

I also think it helps if you don't set off the alarms when you walk through the gate. I try to make sure I have put all "suspicious" items in the basket before I walk through, so I don't attract any attention.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I took a couple of flights this summer. Just let them know you have a 'video' camera, they'll have you take it out of the case and will scan separately. They scan the tapes with no damage. My 2 carry on items were the camera case and the Libec 38 tripod.
They fit in the overhead very easy, but I guess it varies according to model of airplane you take. We flew on the Boeing 717-200.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Trustee

I just want to emphasize that many airlines have changed all the rules in the past 4 weeks.

Some major airlines that allowed a carry-on and a personal item not allow one item only.

Size and weight restrictions vary wildly from one airline to another, from domestic to internationl flights on the same airline.

It was announced about 2 weeks ago that several major U.S. carriers were going to strictly enforce all requirements that had previously not been strictly enforced.

It is necessary to get the latest and precise information from every airline for every type of flight/destination.

Curiously, there is a top-flight camera case company that markets a carry-on that it advertises as being withing Eurpean restrictions. The only problem is that the case itself exceeds the weight limit for carryons for some airlines.

Nothing is guaranteed.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #8
New Boot

That's good to know. I'll make sure to call the airline beforehand to make sure I'm within limits.

I most likely will be traveling with someone else, so we could always split up the gear between the 2 of us if there is too much weight.

Thanks

D
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Contributor

Bill, they let you carry a Libec 38 on board? I thought it was too long to be legal.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Major Player

Good advice Jack, check the details before arriving at the airport. Last thing you would do is have the camera as check-in baggage. If for some reason last minute they say the case was too big, I'd carry the bare camera with me and check in the case.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Bill, they let you carry a Libec 38 on board? I thought it was too long to be legal.
Yes, I was prepared to check it in, had it all wrapped in bubble wrap and blankets in the soft bag. A little worried since it's so expensive and necessary for the work. They said it was fine to carry and off I went. Most likely varies according to airlines. The Boeing 717-200 have good sized overhead compartments.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Contributor

I have one too. I think it would fit in the overhead, but it won't go through the X-ray boxes they use here. You're limited to about 23" in length, maybe 28".
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Major Player

I woulda thought Kansas City would have better scanning equipment...
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM   #14
Major Player

I have to bring stuff on a trip this week coming up, I need to bring stuff so I don't fall behind on my editing while I am away, but I don't want to check my laptop or my hard drives, but I also wanted to bring my camera and I don't want to check that either. I used to carry it all...

But I am impressed they let you carry on the tripod... especially one of that size.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
I have to bring stuff on a trip this week coming up, I need to bring stuff so I don't fall behind on my editing while I am away, but I don't want to check my laptop or my hard drives, but I also wanted to bring my camera and I don't want to check that either. I used to carry it all...

But I am impressed they let you carry on the tripod... especially one of that size.
Ya, I'm surprised too... I had heard that you couldn't carry a tripod with you as it may be used as a weapon... I think it is almost coming to a point where we will all have to travel naked and ship our luggage with fedex... ****SIGH*****

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders