Canon XH-A1 really worth it? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Well yes, but those restrictions can be quite severe. By the same token, DV has been used in a great many broadcasts too. XDCam is usually accepted without the limitations placed on HDV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
HDV is accepted for HD broadcast with some restrictions. It's already been used in too many professional collaborations to mention.
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #77
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Well yes, but those restrictions can be quite severe. By the same token, DV has been used in a great many broadcasts too. XDCam is usually accepted without the limitations placed on HDV.
That's fair, but broadcast restrictions from BBC or DiscoveryHD aren't enough to take it out of the realm of professional use, or put into the hands of consumers. Broadcast networks, event videographers and electronic news gatherers all have their reasons.

If anything seems apparent, is that HDV is disappearing from consumer/home use products, and reappearing as a tool used by professionals not needing or wanting to embrace AVCHD, DVCPRO or XDCAM tapeless workflows. A recent example of this trend is the new Sony Z7, with 3 1/3 inch sensors, HDV and interchangeable lenses.

I think it would be a trivial matter to transcode HDV to XDCAM-HD or XDCAM 4:2:2 or 35 mbps HQ. I believe it would also hold up to scrutiny, (at least if I did it.)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #78
Major Player

Depending on what your doing its absolutely worth it. I'm shooting a feature with it right now along with a Letus Extreme and let me tell you.....its impressed me. The price of this camera vs. what you get out of it is incredible. I saw our newly cut trailer in full HD on a 52in Panasonic Plasma today and yes...the camera is worth it. I'm glad I went with it for this project so far, tape is downside but the image is excellent.

Next project a better camera but for this budget that we've been working with, the A1 is a miracle.

Visit StandingFirmMovie.com to see our trailer...or the Sample forum here to see more stuff.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #79
Regular Crew

It seems more and more those broadcast restrictions are disappearing and don't seem to be a big issue with this camera. Here is a good example.

http://blog.digitalcontentproducer.c...daytime-drama/
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #80
Major Player

I remember reading that article when it first surfaced, & was really surprised it mentioned they are currently shooting SD. Maybe I have something off kilter with my A1 because I'm not that impressed with the SD quality. On mine I see too much aliasing. It looks very similar to the first couple of seasons on the Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD's. :-\
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
In regards to RED's wavelet compression scheme, yes, it can look fantastic. But I've not heard whether Scarlet is indeed going to offer the same RED Raw codec out of Scarlet, or if they are going to do something else.
Jim has confirmed several times that Scarlet will have the exact same 288 mbps REDCODE. It will also have 800mbps 120 FPS mode and some sort of RGB codec.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #82
Contributor

Bill, check that link to the TV series. The stuff looks great in SD. I've shot quite a bit for two other documentary producers in SD with my XH A1 and it looked great. One was shown theatrically and the XH A1 footage looked significantly better than footage from any of the other SD cameras used (XL2 and DSR250 for the most part).

I think that "broadcast quality" issue is a non-issue. You give them an HDCAM master and who knows or cares what it was shot with. While some channels may claim to have certain standards, you'll also see shows obviously shot with lesser cameras if you watch long enough. If it's professionally produced and the video and audio are within broadcast standards, ie., no blown out whites, no overpeaked audio, etc., then it's going to be accepted if the concept and production values are up there. Some of the best looking "films" I've seen at some festivals in the past couple of years have been shot with the Z1. The new Crank 2 has a combination of XHA1 and consumercam HDV footage. I've seen "28 Days Later" on either HBO or Showtime, and they didn't reject it because of all the XL1 footage. I've seen documentaries on both Showtime and HBO shot with PD150s and DVX100s. A camera is no different from a hammer and saw in the hands of a carpenter. Give a good carpenter those tools and he can build you a house; somebody else wouldn't be able to cut a board straight or hammer in a nail without bending it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #83
New Boot

I'm happy with my XH-A1 as far.

I'm using a 120 gig CitiDisk rather than tape, it records as m2t files which is a pain in the neck for FCP but for Adobe works fine.
John Gardiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders