Canon a1 and hv30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon a1 and hv30

I just received my hv30. I will be shooting an interview Monday and would like to use the HV30 as B camera for a static wide shot while using my A1 for close up.
Any recommendation on what preset or strategy to match them.
I am editing on FCE 3,5 and my MBP is my only monitor.
Thanks
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Robert... I do something vaguely similar, but it's to cover racing. The A1's companion is an HV10, which by everything I've read works very similarly to the HV30. I shoot with the default A1 setting for fear that anything else would take the look farther away from the HV10. I've done no experimenting thus far.

The key trick to match them is getting the white balance right. Given the myriad of different temperature lights around the track, it gets a little tricky. Also since I use a wide angle adapter on the HV10, I cannot zoom in to something white to get a good wb. (No break in the action long enough to remove the adapter, reposition the camera, wb, move the camera again and re-affix the adapter.) Regardless, good wb is going to be key.

If you work out something trick, please report back. I'd be very interested in optional looks that might work for both cameras.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Morane View Post
I just received my hv30. I will be shooting an interview Monday and would like to use the HV30 as B camera for a static wide shot while using my A1 for close up.
Any recommendation on what preset or strategy to match them.
I am editing on FCE 3,5 and my MBP is my only monitor.
Thanks
Perhaps this could help...
http://www.hv20.com/showpost.php?p=76101&postcount=38
Lee Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks,
I did the WB and tryed the Preset 13, not good.
I'll try VividRGB (there is a few of them on the preset list, any idea wich one is best?).
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Here's some other threads you can take a look too

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=117254

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116560
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Here I have two videos. Both of them were shot with XH-A1 and HV30. I think I can master color matching from both camera. Can you tell which scene is from which camera?

http://lacolor.com/video/hd/?id=LeeK...preciationGala

http://lacolor.com/video/hd/?id=Chri...2008Highlights
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Nice demonstration Taky, but i understand most of the color correction is done in post.
You mentionned using VividRGB and Outsiden (#13), wich one give you the best "in camera" similitude of looks?
I'm pretty limited for CC with the FCE 3.5.
Thanks
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If I will be editing the video I will shoot VIVIDRGB. If I will just pass the tapes to the client, I will shoot in Preset #13 OUTSIDEN in XH-A1 which has the cloest color output to HV30.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Here I have two videos. Both of them were shot with XH-A1 and HV30. I think I can master color matching from both camera. Can you tell which scene is from which camera?
My guess is that the first is the HV30 and the second is the A1.

I use a HV30 along with a XHA1 in all my projects and managed to match them quit well by using my own REALITY (version 2) preset in the A1 and specific Custom settings in the HV30 (Color -, Sharpness -, Contrast - and Brightness neutral) + a little CC in post (decreasing the reds of the HV30 a little).

I do multicam edits (in Vegas) with the footage of both cams. Switching from wide shots from the HV30 to Close shots from the A1 back and forth and nobody (except me) sees the difference.
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode View Post
My guess is that the first is the HV30 and the second is the A1.
No, both videos are shot with both XH-A1 and HV30. All the close shots are in XH-A1. Most wide shots are HV30. All steadicam shots are using HV30 too.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
No, both videos are shot with both XH-A1 and HV30. All the close shots are in XH-A1. Most wide shots are HV30. All steadicam shots are using HV30 too.
Tricky!

What do you think of steadicam with HV30 vs steadicam with XH-A1, Taky?

I've read a number of posts that offer the opinion that the HV30 is too light for the Merlin. For my own part, I think the HV30 works very well on the Merlin...and it's a hell of a lot easier to hold than the XH-A1 + Merlin. Have you tried the XH-A1 on the Merlin? Do you find that the XH-A1+Merline is more stable than the HV30+Merlin?
Lee Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I have never tried to mount XH-A1 on merlin. At a shooting job, I will be using 3 camcorders. XH-A1 as main cam, HV30 as b-roll. A second HV30 mounted on merlin. I need it to be small and easy to carry. HV30 on merlin works well for me. I mounted a Raynox 6600 in front and using the BP-2L24H big battery at the end. The merlin set up works very well for me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders