Encoder issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Encoder issues

Rookie here, so maybe you guys can help me out?

I notice that when using my camera in HDV mode, I cannot get Windows Media Encoder nor my Messenger programs to recognize the camera. When I change the settings to SD, either 16:9 or 4:3, it recognizes the camera. Although when using it, I really have to tweak the settings because if using 16:9, it really tries to "slim" up the video.

Thoughts ??? Advice ???
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Make sure both the camera and editor programs are using the same mode. Sounds like you've got one of each, so changing one will work. Is your camera downloading in SD, even though you've recorded in HD? That will convince the editor that you're working in SD.
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I've noticed similar behavior as well. When in HDV mode, the only software that seems to recognize the camera and let you use it is HDVSplit
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Major Player

May I ask what "Messenger programs" means?
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I think he means "chat" programs like AIM or Yahoo Messenger that let you use attached cameras as webcams.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I thought he may have meant that, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would use an A1 for that. "I got this cool webcam for $3700" :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:44 AM   #7
Major Player

My guess (aka fervent hope) was that he mentioned messenger not recognizing the camera as just another symptom of windows not recognizing the camera, hehe. Not necessarily his primary use for the camera.

I have noticed Windows will "beep" as if the device is recognized, but you don't get that autoplay popup of the camera is in HDV mode. Even if I put in a regular DV tape, I have to hit play so the readout switches to DV16x9, stop the tape, turn off the camera, then turn it back on again, and then I'll get the autoplay popup and Vegas will recognize the camera, etc.

HDVSplit works all the time, though.
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Umm, no... not a $3500 webcam.

What I was trying to explain is that the normal programs that normally recognize an SD signal, don't seem to recognize the HD signal. Strangely, if I switch the camera over to SD mode, either 16:9 or 4:3, the computer will then recognize the camera.
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Major Player

I understand now, and it's simple really. WME doesn't support HDV, nor do I believe any chat program available does. Chat programs that have webcam capability weren't designed for such a thing as HDV & most likely never will. Possibly at a later time WME most likely may though. HDV is a totally different signal, therefore these programs can't detect a DV signal when the device is in HDV mode.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders