Recording problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Recording problem

Hi

My XH-A1 does not start in record mode. During a vacation trip, my A1 refused to start up in record mode and I haven't been able to get it up and running since then. It's not the standby/lock switch thing or the lock switch on the handle. It seems more that the camcorder halts somewhere during startup as some functions seems to work:

- Turning the power wheel to any record modes makes the power LED:s light up.
- Sometimes the sound meters inside the power wheel indicates that sound is received, sometimes it doesn't.
- The zoom ring and zoom control on the handle works as I can see the lens elements move inside the lens house. The zoom controller on the tape mechanism does not work.
- The card LED flashes during startup.
- The camcorder works in VCR/PLAY mode.

I've tried to reset the camcorder using the RESET alternative in the VCR/PLAY menu. I've also tried the reset button according to the manual, both with power source connected and disconnected. I've also moved all buttons/switches to see if some of them has get stuck. I have now had the camcorder connected to power for 12 hours to charge the internal battery.

My theory is that someting has happened to the camcorder which makes the startup procedure to halt during startup in record mode.

I believe I have to send it to service.

Has anyone had this kind of problem before?

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I had EXACTLY the same problem. I tried everything to correct it,in the end I remembered the magic 'reset' button under the handle. I quick jab with small nail and everything was back to normal (well,far from normal because everything was back to the factory defaults,but I was happy)

My friend has the same camera and is always having problems. I strongly suspect that the electronics in this camera are prone to water ingress and moisture(more so than other cameras)
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Thaks for the info Phil!

As I've tried the reset button many times I think the camcorder needs service.

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall View Post
Thaks for the info Phil!

As I've tried the reset button many times I think the camcorder needs service.

/Bo
That's bad news :0(
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Back from service

Hi

Camcorder has now arrived back to me after service. The good news is that it was a connector to the optics that had to be cleaned. That's also the bad news, a bad/dirty connector made the camcorder go black in record mode, something that probably can happen just anytime and more or less impossible to fix without sending the camcorder to service.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Another bad thing is that the lens is dirty despite I had a UV filter mounted on the cam. :-(

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders