Which tape to use (revisited) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
FINALLY! I now know how to pronounce "videotape" :D
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #47
Regular Crew

just to have updated model info on the forum, panasonic has changed some of the tapes and model numbers (slightly) recently, here's info i received from them:

>The current Master Series 63 minute tape is model: AY-HDVM63AMQ (my note--this replaces the AY-DV...which was also marked for hdv/dv)

This is an enhanced version of the previous tape. It will perform in the same manner as the previous tape so no head-cleaning will be required when switching to this tape. There is no 83 minute tape in this Master Series Tape line.

In the Professional Series Tape line there is an 83 minute model: AY-DVM83PQUS
This tape also will not require cleaning the heads when switching between Master and Professional Series tape.<

i was originally startled when shortly after buying my camera i discovered the tapes i'd bought with it, the AY-DVM63AMQ, were discontinued!
Cynthia Granville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #48
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
I and others say you should use a DV cleaner tape the same brand as the DV tape you use to record with. There are dry and wet lubrication types, Sony is wet and Panasonic is dry. So check Google and the forums and decide for yourself.

Cheers.
Is this true for head cleaners as well (dry/wet)? I'm gonna be using pana PQ tapes in my XHA1, I have a sony head cleaning tape. Does it really matter or is it really a small thing I shouldn't be worrying about? I want to run the sony head cleaner before I start with my Pana tapes.

Tom Hardwick: "You can use any tape head cleaner you like."

does it matter?
thanks
Adam Chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #49
Major Player

In my community of friends, we have 3 heavy tape users. One will use virtually only Sony Premiums. He did buy some of the Sony Pro HDV tapes in the big box but he has never used them. Another will use anything "but Sony". He said he has had drop out problems with every Sony he has tried to use. His tape of choice right now is Maxell but he will use any other brand as long as it isn't a Sony tape. I have been extremely happy with either Panasonic AMQ's or the high end Sony Pro HDV tapes. The only drop out that I have experienced in the last 2 years was on a Sony 80 minute Premium tape. And everyone seems to think that all 80 minute tapes are more prone to problems. I rarely re-use tapes. But that is mainly because I want to preserve the footage that I have shot.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Adam, even though others say 'it doesn't' in fact it does matter. I use Panasonic AY-DVM83MQ DV tapes (now discontinued) without problems and they have the dry lubrication, so I use Pana cleaning tapes.

They actually say 'hard type' (dry) on the tape label.

Cheers.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I use Sony DVM60PRR that cost $2.20 at B&H. If I need 80 minute tapes I purchase the DVM80PRL that cost around $8.50...
I have heard mixed reviews on the DVM80PRL tape but have a job coming up where an 80 minute tape would be helpful. Can anyone elaborate on the experiences they have had with this tape?

Typically, I use the PHDVM-63DM, PDVM-40N, and have been testing HDM-63VG tapes. Thanks for any input.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM   #52
Major Player

Bryan, I've only used a handful of the Sony 80 minute tapes, but performance has been flawless thus far. It really takes the stress off of a "one hour" presentation to have a few minutes to start rolling before it starts and a few on the back side when things go a little long.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM   #53
Inner Circle

All Sony mini DV actual tape grades are the same, but the 83min is 2 microns thinner than the 63min. It's done by calendering (polishing) the wide web of tape. Great party trick by the manufacturers.

As I menioned earlier the price differences are in the DV tape shells and the packaging. That you can see on all the dealer sites, btw I check their ratings at Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping

Buy the 5 pack and when you load one, make sure it finishes lacing up in the transport before you close the lid. This has come up before where a run and gunner had problems through closing the lid too soon.

Then it's a good idea to spool in for 5-10secs and back, before you record from the start. This seats the tape properly in the tape path and helps unstick the tape pack.

Record for 10 secs before getting serious, during this time I occasionally speak (slate) ALL the cam and ALL the mic settings for reference later. Put your brain in gear first folks, can be tough on an early shoot.

Cheers.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #54
Major Player

I have one update I would like to add. A golf buddy of mine is a high school football coach. I have always like the sideline action so I wrangled a sideline pass out of him to shoot some test footage and to practice. Since I had no plans on doing anything with the tape I used a once used Sony Pro HDV tape (the real expensive ones). I was just watching my footage and I had 3 drop outs on that one tape. There were no drop outs in the original program that I shot but the second time around I wasn't so lucky. That is the first drop outs that I have ever had with this camera. I guess it is time to run a tape cleaner through it. Sucks.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders