SM Ultra 2 and XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SM Ultra 2 and XH-A1

I have spent a frustrating amount of time trying to get my Serious Magic Ultra 2 to work with HDV. The program "claims" to work with HD but I've never been able to get it to work since buying my XH-A1. The closet I've come to anything that even gets close has audio and video play back problems. The audio is out of sync and playback to the m2t file is jerky.

Is there a way to make this work? The HD footage in front of a green screen seems to create a great key! I've used Edius Broadcast's chromakeying function which is good but has limited control. It seems that Edius doesn't deal with alpha channels too well so my preference is to get Ultra 2 to work for my chromakeying stuff.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ultra 2

Ultra 2.0 will not work with HDV. You need the nex version (upgrade?). I don't know what you ieve you can download a trial version.
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ultra 2

Perhaps I should take back my statement. I have and use Ultra 2 but it will not work with HDV. When Adobe bought out Serious Magic Adobe changed things. The SM support for DV Rack and Ultra was excellent but try to get the same out of Adobe.

Sorry!
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, I've read the Ultra 2 works with HDV I just can't get it to work. Probably a driver thing or something.
I purchased Ultra 2 just a couple of months before Adobe bought them out. I blame Serious Magic too for the lack of support. I am sure the buy out was in the works when they offered to include one of the Master Sets as an incentive to purchase Ultra 2. Two months later the announcement was made. Adobe says they don't support Ultra 2 any more.
There should be a law against this kind of trickery. I believe auto makers have to provide parts for many years after a product is dissolved.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders